Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difficulty Entering Key Code To Register Software

• Please log in to reply

DisorientedSeaCow

DisorientedSeaCow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I'm new here so if I do or say anything painfully stupid or annoying, don't throw tomatoes. (Well, throw if you must but not in the face, ok?)

Here's the problem:

I installed the trial version of some software on my desktop and when I purchased it and went to install the activation code, the code wouldn't fit. Now before you have me fitted for a custom pointed hat for my obviously pointed head, I know the code is right and I know I'm not doing anything stupid...I successfully installed the same software on my laptop (same code and all).

The first window is supposed to take four characters but it jumps to the second window after three characters. (This didn't happen on install on the laptop.) I've tried everything I can think of (which admittedly isn't much) including changing the screen resolution, changing the size of the system font, uninstalling the trial software and reinstalling it. I've run scans for spyware and viruses and as best I can tell, I'm virus and malware free.

I even thought that it might be a problem with my regional settings as I'd originally bought this PC when I lived in Europe and my regional/global settings were for Portuguese. None of that has made a bit of difference.

I've Googled the bejesus outta this and have used every search term I could think of...but I haven't found a post anywhere that sounded like someone was having this particular problem.

Does this sound familiar and/or (hopefully) easily remedied to anyone here? Answers, clues, nudges in the right direction all welcome. As are bits of chocolate and boxes of money. Keep snickering and finger-pointing to a minimum. If I wanted to be mocked, I'd have kept my job in the sideshow. :tazz:

Advertisements

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok seeing as you have purchased this software ( whatever it is ) it should have a free technical support Email or Phone Number I suggest getting intouch with them.

Elaine

DisorientedSeaCow

DisorientedSeaCow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, my bad...I assumed it went without saying that I'd done that. :tazz: Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you get good support for it. I sent them an email days ago and have gotten nothing back yet. Maybe they'll reply eventually. I just thought someone would know why this is happening. I can usually figure out what's going on or at least find answers via Google. But this is a new one on me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it only put 3 of 4, delete them then put the cursor to the far left of the box and left click so it flashes to the far left, in the hope it will let you enter 4 of 4

Put the last 4 in the last box and work backwards

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is the most bizzarre username I've ever seen...

What is the software package?

Edited by gerryf, 27 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.