Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect hardware via USB

• Please log in to reply

kaptinpeasea

kaptinpeasea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm running windows XP, and can only use one USB port to connect anything to for example my iPod, USB mouse, and zip drive. All other USB ports come up with the air do not recognize when I try to connect anything to them.

Also, my CD/DVD drive will not burn CDs, otherwise it works fine.

Can anyone help?
Tim

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sounds to me like you have some IRQ conflicts, start by going into device manager and see if any devices are not running properly.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of laptop? What kind of USB device?

Some PCs have come out over time with USB1 and usb2 ports...perhaps you are plugging usb2 devices in the usb1 port?

You say there is an error? What specifically?

Consider going to device manager and even if no errors show, right click and isntall each USB device, then reboot. Windows will reisntall the USB ports and then try again

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
err, I'm sucha dufus...thanks for the more respectable response gerry

kaptinpeasea

kaptinpeasea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm running a Dell dimensions 8300 and I cannot connect any kind of USB device, iPod, zip drive, and my USB mouse. (Remember I still do have one port that will work for all of these devices, the rest of my USB ports do not recognize anything)

Error message:

USB device not recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

When I clicked the message and recommends to try reconnecting the device and if Windows still does not recognize it, it says to replace the device.