Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word loads slow

• Please log in to reply

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Word is loading very slow. From the answer to another post in this forum (answer by wannabe1) I've learned that "Microsoft Word does request a virus scan when it loads. If there are large documents to scan, it will take a bit."
I disabled Norton and word loaded in 7 seconds, versus 40 with Norton running. Also, it shut down in 7 seconds without Norton, VS 45 seconds with Norton running. So disabling Norton worked for me. Can anyone tell me what documents are scanned when Word loads? I tried moving "My Documents", or most of them, to another (extrnal) drive, which I then disconnected, and it didn't seem to help.
Word opens normally when logged in as another user on this same computer. I created another user identitiy with admin perrmission, and word worked OK there also. It's just in my main admin user that I have the problem.

Edited by Honda_cb750, 27 January 2006 - 03:36 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
norton will scan any and all documents opened...regardles of location...it's kinda what it's there to do

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open NAV click options then misc options to remove the tick from the Office plug in, which is specific to the problem, and better than disabling NAV completely

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I disabled the office plug-in, and it made no difference. And as for documents that are open being scanned, it seems to me that when loading word, there are no documents open yet. Am I missing something? So things are still the same, and it appears that Norton is involved. Also, I've previously re-loaded the whole word program, deleted the data file in the registry, and deleted the profiles file, all of the above several times. This is a challenge! Thanks for the suggestions, so far.
Honda
I just remembered, if I run Word in safe mode (winword.exe /a) it opens instantly

Edited by Honda_cb750, 27 January 2006 - 05:15 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
search for and delete all references to normal.dot

Could be a corrupt word template. Word will recreate it when you load it anew

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I hate Norton, its a resource hog. NAV integrates into Word, even though the chance of a virus in a .doc file is very rare.

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

search for and delete all references to normal.dot

Could be a corrupt word template. Word will recreate it when you load it anew

Sorry I didn't supply complete info, I had improperly posted the full story elsewhere in this forum, and forgot it when doing this post. I had already previously deleted the 'data' file in the registry, and the 'normal.dot' files, including the backup one. Several times I did it, along with re-installing Word completely, but nothing helps except to load Word with Norton disabled. And only in my admin account , not in the restricted user account, or a test admin account that I created, Word work well in those 2 accounts. I did as you suggested, did a search for Normal.dot, and deleted all of them from all accounts, and emptyed the re-cycle bin before trying word again, and it still loads slow with Norton enabled. By the way, I have 'registry restore' disabled, and I always have it disabled, so that's not the problem. Interesting problem, eh? It'll be even more educational if we figure it out! This is why my original question was 'what is Norton scanning when word is opening?' It's apparently doing lots more in my account than in the others. Again, thanks for the help.
Honda