Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video problem and cpu spiking

• Please log in to reply

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I see you have two OS . is the situation the same under the both OS

Edited by memberix, 10 February 2006 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Here's a thought, What is buffering and could that be a problem if the settings aren't set right?
It seems like the video could be waiting for itself to got caught up. And in the dvd it might mess up the audio. I don't know much about it or how to check for that. Is there a setting for that , that would controll the whole system?

Hi
I agree, the sort of symptoms you're describing could be the result of a buffering problem. Basically, buffers are used to temporarily store (cache) the data. In the case of DVD playback, data is extracted in chunks from the DVD & placed into a buffer. The media player takes the data from the buffer & processes it. Provided the buffer is kept constantly topped up, then video playback should be smooth with no stuttering etc. The choppiness you described can be caused by the buffer not being filled quick enough, so when the player goes to retreive the next batch of data from the buffer, it is forced to wait while the buffer fills up.
This is particularly relevent when streaming video from the Internet.

The type of buffer I've just described is usually in the form of a temporary buffer that is created on the hard drive by the multimedia software, although DVD drives themselves also have a hardware buffer built into them.

A potential buffering issue is the main reason I asked you if you'd emptied the TEMP folders etc & defragged the drive. It might also be worth having a fiddle with the buffer size created by the different applications. E.G Windows Media Player - Tools->Options->Performance tab. You can manually adjust the size of the buffer that WMP uses for streaming video over the Internet. You should find that most of your other applications, such as PowerDVD etc, also have a similar setting that you can adjust. Try increasing the buffer size (this is often measured in terms of seconds rather than MB)

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Samm I've been trying a few things, and as usual I've got a couple of questions.
I've taken the dvd player to the cellar and put it in the other computer. where as in this computer both the audio and video were really bad. The one in the cellar the audio is fine and the video is 95% better, still hesitates every little while. That computer is 98se,nvidia 16 video memory ,448 mg memory,and pent.111 450 mhz. This computer is xp pro, nvidia 32 mg 512 memory, amd k6-2 450mhz.
Also I don't know if you know what trackpass is on nascar.com. But it's a live race information, up to date laps and driver information all live and constantly changing data. On this computer I tried it today and plan on using it all race season. The computer rebooted it self a couple of times in the five minutes. The computer in the cellar it's fine.
It's been suggested that video card can cause a lot of problems when they start going bad. Any truth to that?? Problems that you wouldn't assocate with it.
I thought that I might buy a xfx geforce 6200 256mg ddr2 8xagp. about $60 my question is I have sdram for computer, can I have different type of memory on the video or does it have to be sdram. Once I buy it and open it I don't think it can be take back also do you think the rest of the computer will support it???
Again thanks for all the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
First thing you need to be aware of, in regards to a newer video card is this :
Your motherboards AGP slot is AGP v1.0. This means that it will almost certainly only support 3.3V cards (at 1x or 2x).
The card you have mentioned (Geforce 6200) is an 8x card. 8x is AGP v3.0. A lot of these cards are backwards compatible to an extent but generally only support two different voltages (1.5V and 0.8V).

Most video cards that don't support 3.3V, won't even fit in a 3.3V agp slot. And if they do, you'd blow them up anyway!
So, first thing you need to check is the voltages that the Geforce card will support. If it doesn't support 3.3V then there are cards out there that will. See the link below for an example of one :

http://www.techadvic...=1367&iid=18188

Re. the memory. You can't use any other type of ram I'm afraid. Your board takes 168 pin DIMMs as you know, i.e PC66, PC100, PC133. Also, the highest FSB your board supports is 100MHz, so even using PC133 ram instead of PC100 isn't going to help, as it will still only run at the same speed as PC100.

You mentioned that the computer rebooted itself a couple of times in the space of 5 minutes. Did it just shutdown without any warning at all? Have you checked XP's event log for that period to see if theres anything useful listed in there?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
The computer, when it rebooted it self, it gave no warning. The computer just went click and the screen went black and it started to boot up. It's done it 3 times while I was using trackpass on nascar.com. It's probably has something to do with java v 1.5.0-6-b05 that I had to download to use trackpass. In the xp event log it says it reboot from a bugcheck and a whole bunch of numbers.

The memory question that I asked about, had to do with the video card that I had mentioned. I have dimms on the motherboard, they are 2 - 256mg sdram. What I want to know is , when I buy a video card that has memory on it, does it also have to be sdram memory, or can you have a different kind of memory on the video with out having problems . The link you sent has 128 ddr memory on it. The card I mentioned had ddr2 memory on it. I understand what you said about the voltage. Thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, I obviously misunderstood your question about the ram! The video card ram doesn't have to match your system ram. Its quite alright to use a video card that has DDR or DDR2 onboard in your system because only the video card needs to know how to use it.

Re. the rebooting problem - right click on My Computer & select Properties->Advanced tab. Click on Settings in the Startup & Recovery section & remove the tick from the checkbox 'Automatically Restart' in System Failure section. See if that helps

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Samm I'll probably try a new video card this weekend, Even thou I don't expect it to solve everything. Is agp card better than pci video cards.

Also I unchecked automatically restart , and it seems to have stopped the rebooting problem.

I'd like to overclock the cpu only on this thing. I have the manual for the motherboard and the cd, but I don't have anything on the cpu. according to the manual you can overclock just the cpu by raising the multiplyer. I'd like to go from 4.5x100 to 5.0x100. but I don't know if it gets changed in the bios, or do I change a jumper? I cant figure out what jumper.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, AGP is better than PCI video because it uses a dedicated graphics bus & is faster than the PCI bus.

To overclock the cpu you need to change the jumper positions on the motherboard. There are two different revisions of your motherboard - v1.01 uses DIP SWITCHES & v2.0 uses Jumpers. Determine whether you have dip switches or jumpers then follow the relevant instructions below to set the cpu to 500MHz :

IF YOU HAVE DIP SWITCHES :

1) CPU Core Voltage SW2. This is a set of dip switches right next to the 20 pin ATX power connector. They shouldn't need changing but check that they are in the positions I've given below :

DIP SWITCH #_______POSITION
5.................................OFF
4.................................OFF
3.................................ON
2.................................OFF
1.................................OFF

2) CPU FREQUENCY & MULTIPLIER (SW1)
As you rightly said, only the multiplier needs changing, so dip switches 4,5 & 6 do not need to be changed. Switches 1,2,3 are for the multiplier :

DIP SWITCH # __POSITION
1..........................OFF
2..........................ON
3..........................ON

IF YOU HAVE JUMPERS INSTEAD :

1) Single/Dual Voltage setting : Locate jumper headers JP1 & JP2 (next to the ram slots). These should both be in the correct positions anyway but check to make sure :
JP1 must be open (no jumper), JP2 must be closed (jumpered).

2) Locate JP30 (next to the 20 pin ATX power connector). Again this shouldn't require changing but check the jumper positions anyway :

PINS
8 - 7 OPEN
6 - 5 OPEN
4 - 3 CLOSED
2 - 1 CLOSED

3) CPU FREQUENCY & MULTIPLIER (SW1). These are actually dip switches not jumpers.
Dip switches 4,5,6 do not need changing.
Switches 1,2,3 are for the multiplier :

DIP SWITCH #____ POSITION
1.............................OFF
2.............................ON
3.............................ON

The only thing you MUST watch after you have over-clocked the cpu, is the cpu temperature. Obviously it will be running hotter than before so either you should upgrade the heatsink/fan first or keep a very close eye on the temps. At very least, a strategically placed case fan will help the cooling.
Do you have anything to monitor the cpu temperature with?

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've got one question about a setting before I overclock. I've located the dip switches, but the sw2 switches are set differently than you had written down. you had said that they shouldn't need changing.
you had 5 off
4 off
3 on
2 off
1 off which in my book I figured it to be 2.4 volts and according to the mb manual my cpu is2.2v

Mine are set 5 off
4 off
3 off
2 on
1 off which looks like I'am set to 2.2 volts with the book

My question is do you want me to go it 2.4 voltage at the same time that I'm raising the multiplier from 4.5 to 5.0????

I don't have any way to tell the temp, but for a while I have both side covers off.
If I buy a case fan do they blow air out or bring air into the case???? The only spot that I can find a spot to mount one is on the front panel, but that would blow out behind the front cover. Thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Since you mentioned this, I've double checked the voltages for K6-2 processors. In fact, there are two versions of the K6-2 450MHz chip. One uses 2.2V, the other uses 2.4V, although according to your motherboard manual, they say it should be set to 2.4V.
Its possible that you do have the 2.2V version but when you come to overclock the multiplier, I would change it to 2.4V anyway. Until that time, leave it at 2.2V

I don't have any way to tell the temp, but for a while I have both side covers off.

This doesn't necessarily keep the system cooler, in fact it can make it hotter.
If you need a utility to monitor the temperatures, try PCAlert v4 in the link below:
http://gladou.free.f...aires /PCAlert/

If this works, let me know what the current (non-overclocked) cpu temperature is while under load.

If I buy a case fan do they blow air out or bring air into the case????

It depends on which way round you mount it!!

The only spot that I can find a spot to mount one is on the front panel, but that would blow out behind the front cover. Thanks

This is not ideal as you really want the fan to blow air over the cpu. Ideally, if you could mount one on the rear of the case next to the cpu, you should have it blowing air into the case, then one on the front blowing air out.
As you said theres nowhere to mount a case fan at the back, then your best option is to upgrade the heatsink/fan assembly. You need one thats designed for socket 7/socket 370 cpus & it must be capable of cooling cpus faster than 500MHz. This is because K6-2 cpus (especially over-clocked ones) do run particularly hot so a heatsink thats capable of cooling celeron/P3 cpus at around 700MHz upwards should do.

Advertisements

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've decided not to put any money into this computer. By the time I buy video card, case fan , a better heat sink and fan, windows xp, I might just as well buy a better computer. I am going to go ahead and try to overclock this one. The pc alert4 that you said to try, didn't work for some reason, and I couldn't find a read me file, or anyplace to tell me how to check it out or configure it. Thanks again donr53

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you're very wise not to plough money into this system. As you rightly pointed out, you'd be better off buying a new one!

If you're going ahead with the over clocking then just what out for behaviour such as the system unexpectedly shutting down as this will probably be a sign of it overheating.

Good luck :tazz:

donr53

donr53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've done the overclocking and everything is running fine. I went from 2.2 voltage to 2.4, and from 4.5 multiplyer to 5.0. Would you say that would be about the limit that I could go with this cpu???

Also I still have a problem with the J2se runtime environment 5.0 update 6 that I had to install to run Track Pass at nascar.com. Every time that I tried to launch the program it would roboot automatically, and you had me uncheck auto boot. Now that it doesn't reboot It tells me that an error has been detected and has shutdown windows. This is the first part of the message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Then it says look for patches of which I can't find any
Then it says disable bios memory options such as caching and shadowing
Then a whole bunch of mumbers that I wrote down if you need them