Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To format or not?

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Windows XP Pro has become crap lately. All my parts are slower than they were before it got crappy, it runs very slow. My entire WE is very bad too. ALso my WinXP won't even remember my drivers after a restart. Do you reccomend that I put all the important files on my 2nd Drive, unplug that, and just format the WinXP and reinstall?

Edited by The Colonel, 27 January 2006 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..i see you have a few topics open with a few problems going on...a format may solve some of those problems...and if that's what you would like to do...instead of pursuing your other topics to try to troubleshoot and fix the individual problems..then you should have no problems with doing a full format and hoping for the best

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
None of the fixes help. If I moved Game Directories to my 2nd drive, would they still work the same?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope....no programs will be able to be moved...only data files and pictures and music and what nots...

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
:tazz: :) Should i just make a list of what I am losing then? Thank God Steam is on my 2nd driver :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why not try a repair first?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Tried it a bajillion times. I will reformat my HD, try to get XP running, and download ALL my drivers again. Or burn them to CD. Btw, can I just burn the D-link drivers to a CD, cuz my mum kind of...crushed the disc... :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Since you have two drives, download all drivers now, put them on disk 2 in folder DRIVERS and install from there after format

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
By the way, I have a Dell system, do you know what is the latest edition of my BIOS or anyway to figure it out without downloading crap or restarting bc my mum took my A64 system when I moved with my dad :tazz: And do any of you know a way that I can somehow store my steam stuff? Or will I have to spend days putting all that stuff back on? And in the end, is the format worth it if windows is like completely destroyed?

Edited by The Colonel, 27 January 2006 - 07:15 PM.

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
In the Dell Owners manual, theres a "specifications page" [usually page 90~] that shows BIOS info.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can punch your jtag in at the dell site and it will take you to a page with all downloads...its your service number

I still don't know what's wrong with your system other than it's slow....

My car is slow....make it go faster. Details man, provide details. We haven't a clue what's wrong with your machine, only that you want to format it. How can we possible help you make value judgements on this or that, with out info?

And, no, STEAM is toast on a format.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I am formatting atm. God it is SLOW. But anyways, numerous programs started not working well or at all anymore, games i could play fine gradually became unplayable, on a restart I would have to install drivers again, XP would randomly crash at night, and settings I saved would be lost in a few hours. I did all the malware stuff, so I decide to reinstall. Unfortunately, teh XP disc wasn't working, so I went to an older Dell reinstall and that works :tazz: .

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
:tazz: Success!