Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My video card sucks...or does it?

• Please log in to reply

rtuttle4

rtuttle4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop with an NVidia GeForce Go 5200 64 MB video card. I am wondering if it is better than the NVidia Geforce 2 series cause I have a couple games (Civ 4 and C&C Generals) that say on their boxes the system requirments are GeForce 2 for the video card. Anyway, these games run real slow and im wondering if its my graphics card that's the problem. My laptop has a 3.2 Ghz processor and 512 mb of RAM so it seems as though to be a fast computer. It runs hot however and the fan is always blowing like crazy so it could be that...

I just would like to know if my video card should be playing these games that have min. system requirements of the GeForce 2 video card.

Thanks

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop with an NVidia GeForce Go 5200 64 MB video card. I am wondering if it is better than the NVidia Geforce 2 series cause I have a couple games (Civ 4 and C&C Generals) that say on their boxes the system requirments are GeForce 2 for the video card. Anyway, these games run real slow and im wondering if its my graphics card that's the problem. My laptop has a 3.2 Ghz processor and 512 mb of RAM so it seems as though to be a fast computer. It runs hot however and the fan is always blowing like crazy so it could be that...

I just would like to know if my video card should be playing these games that have min. system requirements of the GeForce 2 video card.

Thanks

Its 64-bit video card but that shouldn't be so bad but still... The higher the GeForce series the better though.

Laptops aren't made for gaming really...(In my opinion anyways) Yes, it could be the heat issue too probably. Very high temperatures and slowness go hand and hand.

Laptops usually can have high frequency(Like 3.2 GHz in your case) but that doesn't mean they have good front bus speed. (Especially laptops.)

If you want to play games like that good I would recommend a desktop... (One of my friends has a good laptop but it still lags at Generals and other stuff like that)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Generals is actually quite intensive on system resources, a 5200 is the equivalent to a geforce 5 which is alot better than 2, when they say minimum thats usually what you need just for it to run it doesnt actually mean playable, as a general rule of thumb unless you have close to the reccomended it wont run very well.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Generals is actually quite intensive on system resources, a 5200 is the equivalent to a geforce 5 which is alot better than 2, when they say minimum thats usually what you need just for it to run it doesnt actually mean playable, as a general rule of thumb unless you have close to the reccomended it wont run very well.

Exactly what I was going to say. Yes, my friend ran BF2 at the minium before... Oh boy... That was fun.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Haha, you think that is bad. My friend says that his friend could run FEAR playably on a standard Dell, not even XPS, which IMHO, are crap as well. :tazz: