Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Serious problem with IE!

• Please log in to reply

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
This has been an ongoing problem for me. When I open IE, my homepage loads normally, except that now my CPU is constantly pegged at 100%. If I try to navigate away from the homepage (by clicking a link or typing in a different site altogether), nothing happens. I can only access the home page. I downloaded FireFox and it runs just fine, so the problem lies within IE. I tried reinstalling IE 6, but it said that the installation couldn't continue because it detected a newer version of IE on my computer. Very grateful to hear any help you may have!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
Firstly you should just stay with fiirefox as it is a more reliable browser, fast and safer.
However if you want to use IE more then Firefox try this link http://www.geekstogo...er-60-t251.html
And one last thing do you suspect malware (virus', spyware, adware) if so go to the malware forum and they'll fix ya up.
thanx
James

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Tried that link. First method didn't work, and the second method requires the XP CD, which unfortunately I don't have.:tazz: I have been posting on the Malware board for the past 3 days or so, resolving some other problems I'd been having. Unfortunately none of it fixed my problems with IE.

I also have a problem with AIM using 100% of my CPU. This problem started the same time as my problems with IE (which is also guilty of hogging all of my CPU).

Edited by N3cr0n0mIV, 27 January 2006 - 07:17 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
reinstall it i would say after you get fixed up with malware. I think this is the main problem here. Once you are done getting fixed up then report back to here.
thanx
James

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The guy I've been talking to in Malware advised me to come here, because he's done all he can.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok....reboot after the clean up and c if AIM is still taking up space then i might try reinstalling it, as for IE i'm out of options maybe someone else can help ya out.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm out of options but i will continue to look around and see if i can find something. Can you still only access the homepage? Also if AIM is still taking up 100% of your computers usage try out trillian, you can get the download at http://www.download....0-10047473.html and maybe this will help your comptuer out. If you're for sure that its AIM reducing your computers preformance.
thanx
James

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How can AIM and IE be using 100% of the cpu? At the same time? First, remove AIM from your start up. You can turn the program on manually. Here is a great utility for controlling what begins at boot:
Mike Lin's StartUpCPL
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Now, change your homepage temporarily and see if there is a difference.

BTW, Firefox is not the best solution for IE problems. IE is very important to most of Windows, so if there is a problem with it, it's best to fix it instead of using a work-around. Firefox is also not as capable as IE in some situations, or even usable, like getting MS updates, so it needs fixed.

Johanna