Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering files after a virus... can I, should I, how do I?

• Please log in to reply

porkiefysh

porkiefysh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
We lost all of our music, most of our pictures and all of my word files from the Trj/MadCow.A virus. I posted in the Malware forum and Andy helped me get my computer sorted out.
I'd like to recover the files that were lost, but Andy brought up the fact that I may not want to recover files that have been "touched" by a virus. So here I am looking for advice.
What would you recommend? Should I try to recover the files? How do I go about recovering them? Is it even possible? I'm really upset about my pictures.
Any advice for me?
Thanks,
Dawn

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Create a folder in my documents

Run tune up file recovery and destruction / tune up undelete, scan for files, choose show only files in good condition, select the folder you created as the restore to location. If you know the file extensions for the pictures you can look only for those, (.jpeg)

Avoid downloading too many data recovery programmes as anything you install on the drive could overwrite the files you would like to recover

Right click the folder, select a scan with your anti virus programme

Another option is data recovery in my signature

porkiefysh

porkiefysh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, Keith!
I printed out these instructions and will try this now!

porkiefysh

porkiefysh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Keith,
Unfortunately "Tune Up 2006" didn't work. It wouldn't find any of the music and the only pics it found wouldn't open up once they were restored and scanned.
Was that my only hope?
Thanks again,
Dawn

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try this

http://tokiwa.tomato.ne.jp/EN/dr.html

You will have to ignore the warning about trying to recover to the same drive if you only have one installed hard drive