Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Picture on my desktop is there ......

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I boot up my other PC and I get to the desktop. The desktop has the picture my son uses for the background. There is NOTHING ELSE there. No Start Button, No Menu Bar, Nothing.

I can't start any programs and if I right-click on the desktop I get no response.

If I Ctrl-Alt-Delete I get the Windows Task Manager, but that's as far as it goes.

I have NO IDEA what is going on. Anyone have any suggestions?

dog

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get the task manager, click file then new task, type explorer.exe then press enter

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Done and it opens up

Now what? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click file then new task then type explorer.exe and press enter you should get the desktop with the icons etc, if you reboot, it should load normally

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
That has it up and running ... thanks .... now ... any explanation as to what happened?

dog

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It happens, probably just missed loading the bits for it. If it happens too often you can click start then run, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter, this will replace the system files, you will see a box with windows file protection, after the box goes, reboot

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Great work, Keith! :tazz: