Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I'm interested in getting a new video card, my GeForce 4 MX440SE PCI card just can't cut it anymore. I'm interested in a new card but not sure what to get. I don't want to go over 200 dollars, around 150 would be even better. I have an 8X AGP slot. I'm not sure what to look for in a video card, so I thought I'd come here for those who know more.

(System Info)
Celeron 2.2Ghz
1Gig PC3200 RAM
GeForce 4 MX440 SE PCI
Asus P4P800S-X
Prim. Western Digital 200Gig HD
Sec. Western Digital 40gig HD
Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

Edited by ADNoland, 27 January 2006 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A list of things you need to do with the card would help

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Gaming. Thats it :-P. My old card can't handle it. I want to play the new games reasonably well and handle some of the new games coming out.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Gaming. Thats it :-P. My old card can't handle it. I want to play the new games reasonably well and handle some of the new games coming out.

I know you said 150 but this is really good. (One of the best AGP cards I believe... Also lifetime warranty)

http://www.tigerdire...1779348&CatId=0

It can play BF2 and CoD 2 just fine.

Edited by Comrade General, 27 January 2006 - 07:15 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, like I said, up to 200 is fine.I live in Tennessee and have to pay tax on things from newegg and such because they have warehouses in the state or something :tazz:

Edited by ADNoland, 27 January 2006 - 07:20 PM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Well, like I said, up to 200 is fine.I live in Tennessee and have to pay tax on things from newegg and such because they have warehouses in the state or something :tazz:

I think tigerdirect is in Indiana or something. Is this card you? Or want something abit cheaper? But like I say again, this is one of the best AGP cards on the market in my opinion. (For the price at least.)

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Looks good for me, and apparantly I wouldn't be taxed for it (which would be over 20 dollars >_<) I'm of course always interested in cheaper ones :-P

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Looks good for me, and apparantly I wouldn't be taxed for it (which would be over 20 dollars >_<) I'm of course always interested in cheaper ones :-P

I looked at the cheapers ones and I don't really love the selection... I think that one would be your best bet.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I've decided I'll be getting that card, probably here in a week or two. After this I'll be broke :-P I'll let you know how it goes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good choice, not much that i would reccomend really for a gaming pc, only other option would be one of the x800xls(maybe a GTO but cant remember if those are AGP) or the x850xtpe but those would probabloy be over 200. The 6800GS is a good card, equal performance on the GT and its a little cheaper.

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well I bought this card today. Will have it in a few days. Now, about the drivers, my understanding is that the NVidia drivers now are... universal with their cards. So I wouldn't need to uninstal the drivers currently on the computer right? Or am I wrong about the drivers?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Well I bought this card today. Will have it in a few days. Now, about the drivers, my understanding is that the NVidia drivers now are... universal with their cards. So I wouldn't need to uninstal the drivers currently on the computer right? Or am I wrong about the drivers?

Oh wow, you just bought it and now its out of stock! :tazz:

Well, I would uninstall the drivers and then install the drivers they give you anyways. Then get the updated ones from their site...

Tell me if its good when you get it! :)

Edited by Comrade General, 05 February 2006 - 04:04 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Alright, I'll do that. It's estimated I'll get it on Tuesday... I think I'll die waiting for it before then. It's a million times better than my current one. I'll be able to play the games I used to not be able to or play them with much better graphics.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you may need to set the vga boot order (or primary video device) in your bios from pci to agp.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
FINALLY got the card to day, was dying waiting all day, finally recieved it about 7PM.

Compared to my old card.. I am at a loss for words. I've played some of the games I used to on the higher settings and they look beautiful. Water looks real... trees look real.. everything looks awsome.

Now, I'm not sure what drivers I need to download. I thought GeForce drivers, but I got a message saying it couldn't find any drivers compatable with my hardware. So I'm a little confused.. I went under the "GeForce and TNT 2" section. And supposedly, under this section, my card is supported. I dunno, I guess its not important right now, but it will later. I want to keep my drivers up to date.