Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message in jGrasp

• Please log in to reply

El Kabong

El Kabong

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys, I'm new to the board, thanks for having such a good one! I'm currently in an intro to Java class, and we have a program due tonight. The program is supposed to print our name, birthday, hobbies, favorite book, and favorite movie, all on separate lines. Now I know I could just say "System.out.println('<name>')", and repeat that for each one, but I want to do it a different way. I'd like to store each thing as a variable, and then print each thing without quoting the exact thing. This is what I have so far:

public class PeronalInfo
{
public static void main (String args[])
{
string Name;
int Bday;
int Hobbies;
int Favbook;
int Favmovie;
Name = "I'm not telling you my name!";
Bday = "November 20, 1986";
Hobbies = "Computers, guitar, car repair";
Favbook = "The Harry Potter series";
Favmovie = "Wedding Crashers";

System.out.println(Name);
System.out.println(Bday);
System.out.println(Hobbies);
System.out.println(Favbook);
System.out.println(Favmovie);
}
}

I'm pretty sure that "int" means integer, but I don't know what to put when I want to initialize a string. How do I do that? Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Advertisements

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yes, int does mean integer. int are only for numbers only, until you are in higher level of Java and know how to manipulate it a bit more. In this case by looking at the code, you can't use int when you want to store variables that aren't numbers. In this case, all of those would be string.

A fast way of declaring new string variables is as follows using your code:

string Name, BDay, Hobbies, FavBook, FavMovie;

Don't mind if I use different capitalization as we all develop our own ways of programming.

So that will create all the variables you need. You can leave this part alone as it is:

Name = "I'm not telling you my name!";
BDay = "November 20, 1986";
Hobbies = "Computers, guitar, car repair";
FavBook = "The Harry Potter series";
FavMovie = "Wedding Crashers";

As for the System.out.println(variablenamehere); You can leave that how it is. Another way of doing it could be this:

System.out.println(Name"+\n+"BDay"+\n+"Hobbies"+\n+"FavBook"+\n+"FavMovie);

That would put it all in one line. \n basically means new line, so it will jump down to a new line.

Hope this helps :-)

Oh yeah! With strings, all you have to do is string variablename; and you are set. Worry about initialization when you are dealing with the other primitive types (int, long, double, float, boolean, short, char)

Edited by LDG, 28 January 2006 - 10:39 AM.

El Kabong

El Kabong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey man, thanks a lot! I ended up taking the easy way out, and just telling it to print exactly what I wanted rather than using variables. But all I really wanted was to know HOW to do it, I didn't really care about the assignment. Anyways, your reply helped a lot, I really appreciate it!