Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton problem/Office plug in not working properly/Can't run Norto

• Please log in to reply

icyprincess77

icyprincess77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
First off, I have Norton Internet Security 2005 antispyware edition.

I have not been able to successfully run a virus scan for 2 months. For awhile, I was also unable to open Word (not sure about other Office software, didn't try). I learned from a forum off of here that simply turning off the plug in will allow me to open Word and do work (which it did), but it didn't solve the other problem of being unable to run a scan.

As far as I know, everything else is working fine, but I've been wondering if it's possible that there is some sort of bug or virus that can be causing Norton to act this way. This came on my computer with no back up software to reinstall it, so if anyone knows of someway I can uninstall Norton and reinstall it while still being able to retain my update (I just renewed the service a couple months ago, I don't want to have to re-pay, or to have to buy Norton from a store). I didn't know if this would solve the problem, but I thought it could be a possibility.

Also, another thing I noticed, don't know if it was important, while I was turning off the Office plug-in in the misc. options folder, I noticed that the option "Enable protection for my symantec software" was unchecked, and I noticed that it was also recommened to have it checked, so I did. Then, when I went back into the menu again, I noticed it had unchecked itself and won't remain checked no matter what. I don't know whether this is significant, but I thought I'd still include it.

My start ups and shut downs are a bit slow as well, but there has been an improvement since turning off the Office plug in, so I assume the slow shut downs and start ups are result of this Norton problem.

Sorry this is so lengthy, I just wanted to give as much info as possible. Also, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the office products, but that didn't help either, it's definately a problem with Norton.

Please help, thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton, click help then about to see if the registration details are there, contact symantec ahead of uninstalling to check the position, get them to confirm this by e-mail if you phone them

Try some online scans to see if they will complete

Trend Micro Housecall

Panda Active Scan

Symantec Security Check

Sygate Scans

E-Trust Web Scanner

Kapersky Online Scanner

If you are unable to run any of the online scans

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Uninstall live update for norton in add / remove

Run disc clean up then click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and then reboot

Download and install lusetup.exe

http://www.symantec....iles/lu/lu.html

Open Norton to run live update

Check if it will scan

icyprincess77

icyprincess77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for a quick response.

I've posted in the malware forum about this too :tazz:

I actually found out my parents bought Office 2003 professional (I originally had Office 2002 small business on my comp), so when I went to visit them from college, I got it all installed and it remedied all situations.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know