Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nLite and unofficial sp3 review

• Please log in to reply

pop83in

pop83in

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently I came across these two programs

nlite
nLite is a GUI for permanent Windows component removal by your choice. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. So that means that with nLite you will be able to have Windows installation cd which on installation doesn't install, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.
It also offers to integrate service pack and hot fixes in existing installation.

Windows XP Unofficial TheHotfix.net Pack
These are fixes that you would have to call Microsoft and get through their support center. These hotfixes are directly from Microsoft.

Please suggest about usage of these software’s. By description I found them promising...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unofficial service packs often cause more problems than they actually fix. I would not recommend them.

The unofficial Service Pack 3 for XP has been known to really screw up some XP systems. You'll have no support whatsoever for systems that get broken by means of unofficial patches such as this one.

NLite is fine, used it myself to make an XP install CD that includes Service Pack 2 as standard (as my original CD only had SP1) to save installing it separately later.