Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ip address conflict,

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
hi, i have a wireless dlink that connects me to the main computer upstairs and when i use my computer everything is great until i also installed a linksys wireless so that our ps2 can go online, initially we could only have one or the other working, if the computer was on then the online ps2 couldnt connect and visa versa, then after a while of trying to work it out to no avail, one day we tried to connect both and it worked, that worked for about 2 or 3 weeks and we were happy but then one day just as suddenly, it went back to only one or the other working. it says theres an ip address conflict. when i run ipconfig it says media is disconnected, does anyone have any ideas? thank u ........ also i was going to add a hijack this log in case u needed it but it said im not allowed to upload a file with that file extention.. is that weird?

Edited by canadianchicklet, 28 January 2006 - 08:59 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you said you added another linksys wireless ...do you mean y ou have two wireless routers?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It means that whatever dhcp server you are using (a router in your house or the ISP's), your two machines are both grabbing the same IP address.

How do you hook up? Do you have a router in the house?

If so, increase the range of the DHCP addresses, or set devices to static IPs.

If the range is acceptable for the number of devices...do you ever shut these machines down? If not, the lease may be expiring and when the other device comes on, it grabs the IP address.

Most devices grab IP addresses at startup

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also..if you have two routers..those two routers have the same default ip range (usually)....so that would probably also lead to the issue

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
well, the dlink is wireless for our computer but the linksys is a wireless game adapter so that the kids can play monster hunter online. also how do u increase the range of the dhcp addresses, or set device to static ip? thank u for the advice but as u can see im a complete noob lol

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
need model numbers

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
hi sorry.. but model numbers for what? the wireless devices?

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
hi just wondering if someone can please continue helping me with this problem.... what model numbers plz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, model numbers for any and all devices--NIC, routers, access point.

We're operating blind here

You asked how to set static address, set lease times, change dhcp ranges...we cannot do that without downloading and looking at a manual since they are all different

You don't take your car to a auto repair shop and tell them there is something wrong and then hide the car, do ya? Information is critical to problem solving.

:tazz: