Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IP address or ?

• Please log in to reply

Ardent

Ardent

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I am trying to find the IP address on a local pc in my 3 pc LAN. I just installed Zonealarm firewall and it has cut off my LAN connection. There is a place to put trusted IP addresses in it so it will allow the traffic. I have run ipconfig/all and it came up with the address but that didn't work. I am beggining to think maybe its some other kind of address, maybe a physical one or even one on the router. I know there is a simple way to do this I just can't figure it out.

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your local lan should be set to dish out local ip addresses, typically 192.168.x.x. or 10.x.x.x.

Your gateway/router/switch should have a an ip address too, likely 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1

You should not block anything from these ranges, or the machines cannot talk to each other or the internet. Indeed, you do not want to block other Ip's either, such as your ISPs DNS servers.

Too many people set a firewall and hit block, block, block and end up cutting themselves off from everything. I would reset Zonealarm, and then CAREFULLY determine what to block and what not to
A firewall will block everything you tell it to.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks for the reply
I can see when I go to ipconfig/all on the other pc ,that I have several addresses, a physical address 00 08 05 c5 f2, then the IP which is 192.168.1.110 then a default gateway 192.168.1.1 and a DHCO Server and a DNS Server all three sets of two digit numbers folowed by a 3 digit number. I have tried the IP address and the default gateway address. Neither of which seem to open up the LAN. I know it is the firewall doing this because when I shut it down, the LAN come back up. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, you set it to shut down a port,or a specific kind of traffic at one time.

Reset the firewall software to original condition and let it relearn, this time taking care not to stop local network traffic

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks
When I went to the program ( Zonealarm) I inserted these addresses as "trusted" sites. Doesn't that make them ok to the firewall?
I have an address for my son's pc and that seems to work. The other 2 addresses are for a Loopback adapter and MAC bridge miniport package miniport scheduler. I don't see a reset in this functions of the program so ijust removed the other addresses fro the other pc. Still not connecting.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you need to reset the data base do this:
1 Open ZA and in overview preferences uncheck 'ZA loads at start up'
2 Reboot in safe mode
3 Search the folder Internet Logs (in XP is C:\Windows...)
4 Open the folder Internet Logs and delete everything in it
5 Empty your recicle bin
6 Restart windows normally, open ZA mannually and recheck 'ZA loads at start up' (the one you unchecked in step 1)

You'll loose all your settings and have to choose what to block and not blcok, Do it slowly this time....in fact, as a rule, disconnect your router from the internet modem, then allow everything for the next two hours..assuming the pther machiens are known clean from infection

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks it worked!