Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaned Gateway, now can't install ms accessories

• Please log in to reply

mdc

mdc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Was having trouble with cmd.exe running notepad, shutdowns, and losing various of the microsoft accessory programs (games, calc, and such). Cleaned spysheriff and such following instructions from this site. Afterwards tried to reinstall programs off of Gateway installation disk and got "can't copy file.exe errors".
Any ideas, I haven't tried to uninstall from the control panel. Problem is on machine 90 miles away so trying to get info before I go there and work on it.
thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a dirty or scratched disk if I am reading you right. Or a dirty cd-rom (they should be cleaned periodically so dust is off the lense)

are you sure its 100 percent clean (malware, I mean)?

mdc

mdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

sounds like a dirty or scratched disk if I am reading you right. Or a dirty cd-rom (they should be cleaned periodically so dust is off the lense)

are you sure its 100 percent clean (malware, I mean)?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
was there a question in there?

mdc

mdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for promptness

Not for sure if all clean, panda scan would never work just right but others seemed good.

I received the can't copy message for several different programs so kind of doubt bad disk. Disk was used by my son to reinstall system on this machine, my daughters about 2/3 weeks ago.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not sure I agree with the logic that because it is several programs it is not a bad disk...a bad disk would prevent a number of things from loading.

Have you physically examined the disk for scratches? Are there two people working on the machine...one 90 miles away and the other you? I'm a little fuzzy on what is going on...or were you working on the machine, and stopped, and are going back?

It might be better if your working connection and non working computer were in the same place

mdc

mdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

not sure I agree with the logic that because it is several programs it is not a bad disk...a bad disk would prevent a number of things from loading.

Have you physically examined the disk for scratches? Are there two people working on the machine...one 90 miles away and the other you? I'm a little fuzzy on what is going on...or were you working on the machine, and stopped, and are going back?

It might be better if your working connection and non working computer were in the same place

mdc

mdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am not at afflicted machine right now. I will be there this afternoon and maybe will get back on here and see if I might get some ideas.
The disk was not scratched bad enough 3 weeks ago to prevent the programs from being reloaded. I will have to look at it when I get there.
Thanks for the advice so far and maybe catch you later.