Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup errors, esp. NvQTwk and Outlook pointer

• Please log in to reply

//j

//j

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: When I start my computer, I get two error messages:

"error loading NvQTwk -- the specific module could not be found"

and something about Outlook not being the default mail client. (I use Outlook Express, not Outlook - but I don't know how to redirect whatever it is that is causing this error.)

I just click OK or close each popup and go on with my business. But it would be nice to get rid of this stuff. The problem began back when I was trying to get rid of excessive items in my startup menu. I think something I deleted was being used by something that is still there.

And (problem number 3) I still have a lot of stuff in my start menu that I do not know if I need or how to get rid of.

Hope someone can help. //j

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this thread. I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the quick come-back.

I will do that and respond. Another priority right now. Back later, possibly not today.

//j

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Back again. I'm confused. What is hijackthis, and how to I run it? I thought I followed your link, but I got repeated caution messages that talked about deleting things. Can you tell me explicitly what I should and should not do? //j

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I just want you to run a scan with log, then attach the log for now...we will worry about deleting later.

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by running a scan with log. I've never done this before, and your link is not self-explanatory. //j

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download hijackthis

doubleclick hijackthis.exe

press the DO A SYSTEM SCAN AND SAVE A LOG FILE button

It will create a log open it in notepad

Save that file, attach it to the next post

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

scroll down about 2/3 of the way in that post....I'm not sure I understand what the confusion is

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, I took another shot at it, ignoring the message that said to close out hijackthis and save it before running it. I tried to attach the log, but it did not like the file extension.......//j

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You did not FILE > SAVE AS
and save it with a txt extension

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Trying again. Thanks for your patience.

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
put a check next to his setting and press the FIX button on the bottom

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I also believe that you are infected with malware...after finishing up that step, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top, then post a hijck log there (you can cut and paste there)

The setting I am concerned about it

f2....auserinit.exe

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That was fast. Where do I put the check next to the setting and press FIX? Do I need to run hijackthis again? After I do your fix, should I reboot and see whether this fixes my error message before posting on the malware forum? //j

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, in hijack, check the box next to that line. Hit the fix button at the bottom.

Then reboot

//j

//j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi again, gerryf,

I ran hijack this, checked 04-HKCU etc, hit FIX, and rebooted. I got the same error message. I ran hijackthis again to see if the line was gone, and it was. I have attached the new log in case I missed something.

Attached Files