Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about scam emails

• Please log in to reply

hansey12

hansey12

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I opened an email that was one of those scam emails that want you to send money to Nigeria or something...you know the kind. I have an account through Yahoo & was wondering if I needed to be concerned about it possibly infecting my computer. I run AVG anti virus, a few spyware guards, and I use Mozilla Firefox. Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent anything from happening to my computer! I read that these emails can allow the con artists to access my computer & get credit card numbers I have entered and other personal information. What can I do to make sure I am protected now & in the future?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
To be sure that you are safe you can do the following things,
1. Be sure that your anti-virus programme is always up to date.
2. Be sure that your comptuer is up to date via www.windowsupdate.com (you must use Internet Explorer)
3. Be sure that your firewall is enabled. Start->Security Center->Firewall (be sure that you are the admin of your computer)
and 4. If an e-mail contains an attachement from someone you don't know simply deleat it and be done with the possible threat. However as long as you don't go to any links provided or open any attachements you should be fine, even if you do accedently open the e-mail.

hope this information with be of use.
thanx
James

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you use Outlook Express, turn off the Preview Pane.

Johanna