Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Arkturis

Arkturis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running a windows xp os and my network adapter is an Intel PRO/100 VE. Recently I went to roll back my video driver by inserting the disc that came with the computer. When I put the disc in, I installed not only the old video drivers but the network adapters and audio drivers.

After that I have been unable to connect to the internet via comcast cable, motorola surfboard modem.
I have tried to roll back the drivers, re-install them, I made sure the Internet Options were marked for auto-detect settings, and I've contacted comcast who directed me to microsoft, who then directed me back to comcast, etc.

I'm not sure of all the information that you need to help me resolve the issue. Right now the only computer I have that has internet connection is the computer at work so I might not be able to get all answers / specs same day.

Thx in advance for the help

EDIT: Forgot to mention that comcast was able to ping my computer and get a response. When I tried to do a ping from my computer all failed.

Also, I have cleaned my computer of all spyware/malware/etc. using numerous programs (spybot, spyware doctor, pccillin, norton, and trend micro online <right before losing connection>).

Edited by Arkturis, 28 January 2006 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Arkturis,
It sounds to me like your Network Adapters aren't properly installed/configured.
To create your MSINFO information:
  • Click on the START menu, select RUN and type MSINFO32 and select OK.
  • When the Microsoft System Information program opens, select FILE and select EXPORT.
  • Save the information as MSINFO.txt to your desktop or other easily found location.
  • This is a large file so lets copy only important parts:
  • Copy and paste from [Network] to [Protocol].
Please post the requested information on your next reply.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that comcast was able to ping my computer and get a response. When I tried to do a ping from my computer all failed.

Were they able to ping your computer, or your modem? Please run this Network Test:
Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Arkturis

Arkturis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Dan,

I actually fixed the problem a couple hours ago. I went and unplugged my power cable to my computer and modem, then disconnected the cable line from the modem and let them sit for about 10 minutes. After that I plugged the cable back into the computer and only the computer. When I booted back up the system tray network icon read 100.0 mbs instead of the 10.0 mbs it said previously.

I then went and double checked all the network settings and shut down the computer.

While the computer was shut down I connected the cable to the modem then plugged the modem power back in.

I booted up my comp and it's been running perfect since.

thx for the reply :tazz: