Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors

• Please log in to reply

Hei

Hei

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'll try to explain my problem.

I'm running Windows XP, Norwegian version on a Dell laptop Inspiron 510m.

Two weeks ago I got Spywarestriker on my laptop. By assist and help from this forum I managed to get rid of it, and everything worked just fine. However I had downloaded many anti-virus programmes, and other "fix-programmes". I decided to remove them.
After removing them I would like to run disc defragmentation as reccomended in order to keep the harddisc in good shape.

When I tried to run disc defragmentation I got a message which I never seen before. (Actually never previously got any error messages when doing disc defragmentation).
The message say: "Disc defragmentation has discovered that Chkdsk is planned to run on volume (C. Run Chkdsk/f."
Don't know if the words are 100% correctly translated, but I guess you understand anyway (I'm running a Norwegian version of XP). The disc defragmentation will not run.

I've tried to google and found that this means that there is something wrong, and that the "f" means that the computer will fix errors.

I tried to run disc defragmentation but get the error message every time.

Tried to run sfc/ scannow from "Start" - "Run", a small message-windows shows indicating that I'm to wait while Windows confirms that all protected Window-files are intact and are correct version.
The check take som time, but nothing happends after the bar which show the progress in checking the files are done.

I've also inserted the installation CD for windows XP
clicked start --> run, typed sfc /scannow
with the same result.

Then I inserted the XP-CD
started the laptop
pressed F12 when the Dell logo showed
choosed CD/DVD
pressed a button
.......and I never got any option "E = Repair" as I was expecting to do according to Dell support.
After some time I got this error message:
Error code 0F00:131B Msg block 260225
Stop: c0000221 Unknown hard disc error
systemroot\system30(or 32 don't remember)\ntdll.dll
I hoped I could use the XP-CD in order to repair the error, but maybe I'm doing this in a wrong way?

I also get the following error when trying to open "Control panel" on the Start menu:
"Cannot load btrez.dll"
but after clicking OK the control panles opens anyway.
Don't know if these two problem/error messages are related in any way.

Any tips?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r (with the spaces) then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot. It should run the disc check and possibly take an hour or so to get to the desktop, do not disturb it until it does

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have tried to do so many times, without any luck.
I get a message stating that I can not run chkdsk because the volume is set to open C: or something like that. Can't remember the exact words.
I also belive there was a message stating that I was running NFTS, not sure what that is. Do you understand any/some of this?

I've also took a look at the Event viewer, and under "System" I found some errors. I copyed them:

Hendelsestype: Feil
Hendelseskilde: Ntfs
Hendelseskategori: Disk
Hendelses-ID: 55
Dato: 21.01.2006
Klokkeslett: 09:15:04
Bruker: I/T
Datamaskin: D8WZQ71J
Beskrivelse:
Filsystemstrukturen på disken er skadet og kan ikke brukes. Kjør verktøyet for kontroll av disk på volumet C:.
"ENGLISH = THE FILE SYSTEM STRUCTURE IS DAMAGED AND CAN NOT BE USED. RUN DISC KONTROLL TOOL ON VOLUME C:"

Hvis du vil ha mer informasjon, se Hjelp og støtte på http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 12 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
0018: 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Hendelseskilde: ipnathlp
Hendelseskategori: Ingen
Hendelses-ID: 32003
Dato: 15.01.2006
Klokkeslett: 19:58:35
Beskrivelse:
Nettverksadresseoversetteren (NAT) kan ikke sende forespørsel om en operasjon i oversettingsmodulen i kjernemodus. Dette kan tyde på uriktig konfigurasjon, utilstrekkelige ressurser eller en intern feil. Dataene er feilkoden.
ENGLISH= NAT CAN NOT MAKE AN OPERATION REQUEST IN THE TRANSLATION MODULE IN THE CORE MODUS. THIS COULD BE BECAUSE OF UNCORRECT CONFIGURATION, TO LITTLE RECOURSES OR INTERNAL ERROR. THE DATA IS THE ERROR CODE.

Hvis du vil ha mer informasjon, se Hjelp og støtte på http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Hendelseskilde: Dhcp
Hendelseskategori: Ingen
Hendelses-ID: 1002
Dato: 23.01.2006
Klokkeslett: 16:33:20
Beskrivelse:
IP-adresseleasingavtalen 192.168.0.2 for nettverkskortet med nettverksadressen 000CF146D567 ble avslått av DHCP-serveren 0.0.0.0 (DHCP-serveren sendte en DHCPNACK-melding).

THE TRANSLATION MAY NOT BE 100% CORRECT AS IT WOULD BE SHOWN IN THE ENGLISH VERSION, BUT HOPEFULLY YOU ARE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THEM ANYWAY.

Edited by Hei, 28 January 2006 - 09:19 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, do you get a box saying it cannot because the file is locked, and to type Y to confirm for next boot?

Have you actually rebooted it to see what it runs at start up

Can you boot it to safe mode then type chkdsk /f /r etc

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is what happens if I START - RUN - chkdsk /f

"Filesystem is NTFS
Can not lock the actual station

Chkdsk can not be run because the volume is in use of another process. Would you like to control this volume next start-up Y/N?"

I choose "Y"

Then I log off and starts the laptop. The only thing I notice at start up, is that it take a bit longer (I think) nothing else happends...just a normal start up where I choose my user profile etc.

Have not tried this is in safe mode.

I'll start running sfc/ scannow to see if there are any changes.
This take some time...I'll get back to you.

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 05:16 AM.

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well now I've runned sfc /scannow

During the scan there is a small narrow windows indicating how far the process of checking the files is going. When the scan is finished this window disappears and nothing happends. The laptop has benn on for approx. 45 min now......nothing happens...I do not get any feedback from the scan..no information except that the window indicating the progress of the scan dissapears. Don't know what's supposed to happend so I leave the laptop on running for some time.
There are nothing indicating that there are any programmes running at my laptop...no sounds and none information.

The scan was made in normal mode!

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 05:27 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The system file check does that

The check disc should take an hour or so was it chkdsk /f /r or just /f as you put

Can you run either of these

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm beginning to belive that I'm doing this wrong.

I ran "chkdsk /f", and not the "chkdsk /r". Is it possible to them both at the same time - not sure I understand when you write "chkdsk /f /r" Do you mean I can write it like that in START - RUN as well?

I ran sfc /scannow but do not get any feedback at all. Isn't this strange?

None of the scans are made in safe mode - is it important to do so?

I also tried to use my XP-CD previously, but I never got to any "repair" options. But I'll try again using your instructions.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can type chkdsk /f /r in run then press enter, that should show a box with this cannot happen because it is in use, so you need to type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK I'll try that once more. It is true that I do get a message stating that it cannot happend since the volume is in use.

I did answer Y to the question to check after the reboot.

Well now I will try "chkdsk /f /r" and see if this does the trick before doing anything more with the XP-CD.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you type Y then press enter then reboot it should happen

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well did that. Got the message and option to reboot. Did so.
Not sure what is suppose to happend when rebooting, but this is what happends:

Everything start up just as normal, no special messages, I'm asked to log on to mine user account - I log on using my password (yes I'm the administrator user), and everything starts up and the desktop seems just as before.
Can't say I noticed any chkdsk running at all.

What is supposed to happend? What does the chkdsk looks like when it is running?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On 99 out of 100 PC's the only sign of checkdisc is the flickering red light on the front of the tower, but it has to take an hour to run properly

If you have the XP CD you run either repair option in post 7

You can try this first because registry clean up will at least show you a list of errors

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Not sure if I understood. Did you mean I should use the XP-CD first, and then do all the instructions you gave me (tuneUp etc), or do the instructions INSTEAD of the XP-CD?

I tried to do the instructions right away. Got the system tools to run clean up = worked nicely. However the disc derfragmentation from the system tools does not work. Same error message as always: "Disc defragmentation has discovered that chkdsk is planned to run on volume C: Run chkdsk /f"

Should I ignore it?

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 10:47 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use the Tune Up ones first, make a note of the number of errors and types of errors, tune up registry clean up shows