Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors

• Please log in to reply

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK I'll try the TuneUp.
However before doing so I nticed that you have instructed me to print prefetch, reboot etc
This is listed just above the TuneUp in your task list.
Do you mean I have to do this BEFORE running TuneUp, or may I run TuneUp right away?

Sorry - but I'm not very good at this and afraid all do something wrong (to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing). I therefor need quite good instructions.

Advertisements

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK I took a chance and did the "prefetch" instruction and deleted all of the files and rebooted. Installed TuneUp and ran the disc clean up.
The result was:

Back-up files 1 space used 0,01 MB
Internet ex cache 96 space used 1,09 MB
Log files 2 space used 0,04
Recycle bin 114 space used 8,19 MB
Secured lost cluster 1 space used 0,01 MB
Temp file 7 space used 0,09 MB
Temp help files 5 space used 0,09 MB
Zero byte files 79 space used 0,62 MB

Total of 226 files and 9,48 MB
I did not delete these files, but just posted them here. Not sure if I'm suppose to delete them??

Then I ran the registry clean up:
I got a list, but not sure what of the list is most interesting for you:
ActiveX and COM = 253 problems
Application paths = 1 problem
File types = 82 problems
History list = 165 problems
Shortcuts = 33 problems
Software = 17 problems
Start menu = 22 problems
Start up = 2 problems

I had no idea there was so much errors on my PC.

Did not clean them - should I?? You only said I should run the programme...does that mean you want me to clean the files as well. I do not go any further untill I know this.

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 11:34 AM.

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well - decided to do the scan again, and delete the files/errors which TuneUp found.

I then did the complete TuneUp task list that you had listed.

After this I tried to run disc deframgentation, but still not possible and I still get the same error message.

Noticed that during all the rebooting everytime I got the same message before showing the Windows XP logo.....the screen got blue with text in white. There is a Window XP icon and the text say that it is checking the file system on C: but it also say that it cannot open for direct control....and then the start up continues automatically after showing this message in a short time.

I belive some of the problems are related to this.....the laptop is not running a check due to this problem.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So to recap, you have run tune up and cleaned everything from disc clean up and also from registry clean up

The PC boots, says it wants to scan but cannot

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes I cleaned everything. Tried to reboot and that runs OK but there is nothing happening when I try to run chkdsk /f /r clicking START - RUN.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
OK, I am off to ask about this and will get them to post here

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well I did an extra check to be sure I gave you correct info.

When START - RUN - chkdsk /f then rebooting = nothing happends.

When START - RUN chkdsk /f /r then rebooting I get the message "Can not open the volume for direct access/control" ...as before.

I also tried to run disc defragmentation once more...but not possible. Get the same error message as previously.

Edited by Hei, 29 January 2006 - 02:42 PM.

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Just thought you should know that the laptop seem to try running the chkdsk /f /r each time I startit up, and I do get the same error message as above each time.

Not sure if this tells you anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I did ask but they didn't get back to me yet

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look at this

http://support.micro...kb/316506/en-us

if it isn't the scanner then it is

http://support.micro...b/307545/EN-US/

Advertisements

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK. Not a big thing since the start up continues automatically after a showing the blue screen for short time.

I'll wait untill I get further info here from you or from someone you have consulted.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Two weeks ago I got Spywarestriker on my laptop.....

That is darn interesting....if i understand you correctly, and that chkdsk is trying to run each time you start, but cannot complete, I was just working on PC with this very issue Friday. Drive me batty. And among a billion other things wrong with this machine, it also had SpywareStriker

I addressed the issue in two steps

First, I ran chkdsk from a windows recovery console...since it is Dell, you do not have an xp cd, so download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to a Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

After starting with the recovery console, run

chkdsk /r

from the c:\prompt

After that, reinstall sp2

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Download the sp2 IT redistributable from the above, (pick right language), and run the install. You will need to run windows update after that to get all since then.

Again, I am not 100 percent I understand exactly what you are seeing, but it sounds like a similar situation.

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Wow - this sounded difficult.

By the way I do have an XP-CD from Dell. This is perhaps not the original XP-CD since there is a Dell image/icon on the disc. Would this be OK to use in order to get the ISO?

I do not have a DVD-burner on my laptop, only CD-burner. Is that sufficient?

Hei

Hei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Before downloading ISO etc.

Will these actions delete any information on my laptop?

I already run SP2.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they will not, in and of themselves, do anything to damage the data--but if the data is damaged, they will not recover them either

Here is what we're doing, in a non-technical sense.

My sense is that a either chkdsk or a file used by chkdsk (which is odd, since I always though chkdsk was a stand alone file ) was damaged or overwritten. I am always reluctant to apply a major update without first running chkdsk to ensure the disk is in a healthy state.

The RC.iso is simply a recovery console on a disc--ifyour XP CD from dell has a recovery console option, you can use that.

Once the chkdsk runs, you're reapplying service pack 2, which includes fresh copies of major system files--this should re-overwrite the bad file.

It should not cause any harm to any file or program--no more than applying any hotfix or service pack. I do not know for certain if this will fix what ails your PC, but it should not harm anything.