Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 problem

• Please log in to reply

cao615

cao615

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm new and I'm not sure if the is the correct forum for my question.

My PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 blocks all my attempts to log into many of my commonly used websites. It is blocking confidential information from going out of my computer and says I have to add the site to my exceptions list. Then it asks for my password.

I don't remember ever adding a password to my PC-cillin internet security. In fact, a week ago I ran into this "block" screen and added the site with no problem. I am notorious for forgetting my password, but I usually remember that I HAVE set one. I reviewed "how to set the password" at TrendMicro and I know I have not gone through this process.

Is there any chance I have been hacked? Has somebody else set a password? This seems like such a dumb question -- why would you write a Trojan to prevent confidential information from going out?

The TrendMicro "solution" for this, according to their website, said if you forget your password, you need to remove and re-install the security software.

Here's the Catch-22 -- you can't remove the software without your password!

Do you think my only choice is to have my hard-drive wiped clean?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geeks to go,
Wiping your hard drive would be the very last option. I personally would try going to the malware forum and look to see what they might find on your computer. And if things go bad on your computer without you changing any setting, there is always the possibility of be hacked :tazz: :) I would suggest going to the malware forum and getting your computer checked up though. Click here for malware forum
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 January 2006 - 07:08 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
accualy cao615, dont go to the malware forum (sorry james) i have alread notified a moderator, about your issue, please just post a log, and with in a short amount of time this thread will be moved to the malware forum

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
np mile runner that works to
thanx
James

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Actually now that this topic has been replied to by both of you , If it gets moved to the malware forum the staff will see it has been replied to and it will likely get over looked,
cao615 please do start a new topic in the malware forum,

Thanks
Don

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
sorry about that don, i did report it to a moderator, but then james replied to it and so i felt obliged to tell the user not to start a new topic. sorry

cao615

cao615

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, everyone, for pointing me in the right direction!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
np and good luck, hope they clean ya up.
thanx
James