Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cd\Dvd drivers wont work

• Please log in to reply

infamouslink

infamouslink

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had my cd\dvd drivers installed all perfectly and all. All of the sudden i put my disk in and they will not read. I open the Device manager and the cd\dvd drivers section have ! marks on them. I do what the troubleshooter says (uninstall and reinstall) and it says the drivers can not be correctly installed. I have a _nec nr-7800a and a samsung dvd-rom sd-616. I have tried 6 different disks and they do not work.

Thanks

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
windows thinks there is a hardware problem as indicated by the !.

has any hardware or software been installed recently?

how long did these devices work properly?

and when did they both fail?

have you had any 'guest' users on your pc recently?

infamouslink

infamouslink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No software was installed. I dont have any "guests". They have been working ever since i got my computer. It happened around 1:00

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
are you comfortable opening your pc? it appears that one of the devices or a cable might be bad.

infamouslink

infamouslink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes i opened my pc many of times. To install a grafix card, RAM, and a hard drive. I am going to try to repair windows. I have been searching and it seems some one else had the same problem i did, and fixed it by reinstalling windows.
It seems one of these files are corrupted.
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\gearaspiwdm.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
C:\Windows\system32\storprop.dll

If any one has any of these files, do you mind to send them over? Help is appreciated.

Thanks

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
are you getting error messages regarding the files listed in your previous post? if a 'file not found' message is displayed, then by all means replace any missing file(s).

if there are no error messages, then here's something you might try before replacing any files.
remove both devices using device manager
with the power off, disconnect both devices
bootup and verify the devices are not present in device manager
with the power off, reconnect one device
bootup and see if windows finds 'new' hardware
if this device fails, disconnect it and test the other device

take electrostatic discharge precautions and avoid touching any exposed components on the mother board.