Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xp wont let me del my 2nd acount

• Please log in to reply

pepsi man

pepsi man

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have 2 admin acounts on my pc. The one I created when I installed xp and a back up one just in case sorta thing. Well I have the option of deleting the main acount but no option to del my 2nd acount.

We will call acount A the acount I created with instal and acount B the back up I resently made.

The outher wierd thing is there is simply is option on acount A to delete the password. There is only a option to change it. However Acount B does have the option of removing the password. Then it lack's the option of erasing the acount period.

2nd issuse is my Scearch doesnt work. I click on it and nothing happens at all. Not a thing.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To deal with search

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Didn't work. I did manage to del the 2nd acount but I still can't use my search or remove the password on the main admin acount.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.

2. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf and then click OK.

3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install.

This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses.

NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion.

This issue may occur again if you have Search Companion open when you connect to your ISP.

The problem may continue to occur after you disconnect from the Internet because the files that have been corrupted are cached. You can view the appropriate files (open them with Notepad, not Microsoft Internet Explorer) to determine the source of the corruption. The files that are involved are:

Balloon.xsl

Bar.xsl

Lclsrch.xml

To prevent this problem from occurring, make sure the Search Companion is closed before you connect to your ISP

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It's not my Search Companion that is messed up. The Search function it self doesn't work. I go to start menu I click on Search and nothing happens.

I also tried the above and it did not do anything.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Couple things I found for you to try..

1: If you had used Tweak-XP to 'Hide "Search"' (from the Classic Start Menu) Apparently, this also makes the Explorer Search button not to work.

2: If you're comfortable with regedit use it and see if you can find the following entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" and it will probably solve your problem. You will need to restart ("log off & log in" will probably suffice).

You could also try the following..

If you go to RUN in the start menu, then type in the following commands (one at a time):

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx

Each should prompt a confirmation box saying it has been successful.

Murray

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
This isnt there : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

I tried this to: If you go to RUN in the start menu, then type in the following commands (one at a time):

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx

It did it's pop up thing like u said. However nothing has changed.

Edited by pepsi man, 29 January 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What about TweakUI or Tweak-XP??

Murray

pepsi man

pepsi man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip