Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU pegged at 100%

• Please log in to reply

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
For some reason, trivial programs are hogging up 99 to 100 percent of my CPU usage. I'm talking about things like AIM, Internet Explorer, or even trying to run Disk Cleanup. I have no idea what's wrong, but it's really irking me! Not sure if this is the right board to post this in so.. any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How big is the drive, how much free space, is the virtual memory set correctly, how much installed ram memory is there

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
107GB hard drive, 64% free space, 1GB RAM, I set my Virtual Memory to 'System managed size,' but with no improvements.

I ran all of the scans you listed. It cleaned a bunch of crap from my computer which is good, but the CPU issue still exists. I really don't know what the problem is, and the 2 other GeeksToGo staffers I have talked to seem to be stumped.

Edited by N3cr0n0mIV, 29 January 2006 - 02:06 PM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
With what you say, there's no reason why it should be lagging like this. Do you know if the CPU is overheating?
Can you verify the motherboard temperature sensors for us?

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Don't know that it's overheating. Don't know how to check the sensors.. I wouldn't know what is 'too hot' anyway. I thought about just reinstalling Windows XP but I don't want to lose all my files I've acquired over the years. :tazz:

It really doesn't make any sense - one day I attempted to remove the Winfixer virus. Then the next morning, when I turn on my computer, everything has gone to [bleep].

Edited by N3cr0n0mIV, 30 January 2006 - 08:02 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Thx for saving me the trouble keith.

Dont worry, N3cr0n0mIV, we'll get to the bottom of this. :tazz:

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Motherboard temp: 53 degrees C (127 degrees F)

CPU temp: 67 degrees C (153 degrees F)

These were measured with my CPU pegged at 100%

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would say they are high, this is from a PC which has been running since Friday

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What do you recommend?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow, those temps are very high. I'd guess your CPU is "throttling" due to the high temps, and that's why it appears to be running at 100%. There seems to be a heatsink issue. Have you confirmed the fan is working? Did you build this system?

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No I didn't build this system. The fans seem to be working, below are the readings I got.

Cooling Fans:
CPU- 3980 RPM
System- 2390 RPM

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think you guys might have it backwards...the temp is up because the CPU is running 100%, not the CPU is running 100% because the temp is up.

I'm going to take a flyer here:

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmfhotfix.dll

There was a wmf metafile fix floating around the Internet recently, that creates this setting above.

Somewhere around Jan 10, MS released it's own patch....have you visited MS Windows update since then, or do you have automated updates installed?

If so, you should have removed the hotfix that was floating around the internet (called HExblog's wmf patch, or something)

Not removing the patch, and installing the MS fix on top of it, could have ugly consequences.

Check add remove in control panel and see if both

kb912919
Windows WMF Metafile Vulnerability HotFix"

are installed (check the SHOW UPDATES BOX at the top in SP2)

If so, uninstall them both, then revisit MS Update and reinstall
kb912919

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I had installed both the hotfix and windows update (it's set to automatically update). I removed the hotfix. Unfortunately there is a problem with my IE to where I cannot access anything past the homepage (this problem happened simultaneously with the outrageous CPU usage), so I cannot get to Windows Update. Tried to access it via FireFox (which works), but the site says I need to use IE since it's a Microsoft site and all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you uninstall both? After uninstalling both, reboot.

Does the problem recur

(will worry about update in a moment)