Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU pegged at 100%

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wait, now I remember why I ruled that out...he said Firefox is also exhibiting this behavior..I do not believe Firefox uses index.dat

Hopefully, it was firefox competing with something else, and not doing it itself

Advertisements

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey! It worked! :tazz: Thanks alot you guys!!

Any idea how the index files became corrupted? And what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Honestly, I'm not sure. I can speculate that maybe your hard drive got slightly damaged in the area that had index.dat. Or the fragmentation was so bad it got corrupted. Or even an infection. But I'm not sure.

Glad it worked though :tazz:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 February 2006 - 10:18 AM.

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yeah, I've been having problems for over a week now. Awesome that it's finally resolved.

Is running CCleaner on a regular basis a wise decision? I'm thinking that might keep my computer from getting in trouble again. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Definately. I use it regularly. I always tell people to run it weekly.

When I set it up on people's computers, I have the first 2 options checked (Cookies and Temporary Internet Files), none of the second section, and all of the 3rd section except for empty recycle bin. Then click on the Applications tab and UNcheck all of them, except for the cookies under Firefox. That's how I normally set it up.

And for your special case, I would also have delete index.dat files checked.

If you have any more questions/problems, feel free to ask. :tazz:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 February 2006 - 10:57 AM.

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
MY GOD....that was great...it was like watching a great movie...man way to go guys there are diffrently some peeps on this site that have a lot of great knowldge...

I went home and cleaned up my whole computer because of this (I normaly do this every few months).

As you can tell I am new to this site and was just reading through the diffrent post and am very impressed and am glad to be apart of this site

ATG

N3cr0n0mIV

N3cr0n0mIV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the awesome sig :tazz: :)

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
No problem at all....it was a good learning experince for me as well

Now I get to try and build a new pc from the ground up...lucky me /cross fingers :tazz:

ATG

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Post a new topic if you need help. We treat only one case per topic. Thank you.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm very happy for you!

Kudos to computerwiz12890 !

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Absolutely great reading guys! This is better than watching anything on tele! As a newbie, even if I don't have any of the problems encountered - following the mental dynamic is a wonderful stimulation to understanding my own machine!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Absolutely great reading guys! This is better than watching anything on tele! As a newbie, even if I don't have any of the problems encountered - following the mental dynamic is a wonderful stimulation to understanding my own machine!