Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD: unable to figure out cause

• Please log in to reply

Curious D

Curious D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi. I have done a search for this topic and could not figure out what is the cause of my BSOD error. The BSOD error message flashes too quickly for me to know what it says. An attempt to stop the computer from rebooting did not help (under Administative Tools). I checked the event log and searched for events number 1001 as suggested in other forums and got the following codes (stated that computer rebooted from a bug check):

0x0000009c (0x00000003, 0x80545ff0, 0xf2000000, 0x0002010a)
0x0000009c (0x00000003, 0x80545ff0, 0xb2000000, 0x0002010a)
0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x80545ff0, 0xb2000080, 0x00000800)
0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x80545ff0, 0xf2000080, 0x00000800)
0x100000be (0xbf8036ee, 0x0fadd021, 0xaa137c94, 0x0000000c)
0x10000050 (0xbc6fb760, 0x00000000, 0xbf8363c5, 0x00000000)

Some of these codes are repeated in the 12 times my computer has crashed and gone through the BSOD. It states that a dump file was created, but I can never find this file in the folder that it is supposed to be in. I have absolutely no idea what these codes mean.

From another thread on this forum, it was suggested that the processor could be running hot. To avoid running hot, I have my computer at 800MHz to conserve battery and use Notebook Hardware Control to undervolt by about 0.2V. My processor is running at about 45 - 50 C. I have been undervolting for a while and haven't run into any problems previously. My understanding was that if the computer crashes from undervolting, then it would usually freeze up rather than crash and reset. Futher, the crashes appear to be random and do not relate to length of time on computer, CPU load, or number of programs running at once.

Any help is appreciated to help solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of these look like bad drivers errors. You might look at this website.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

SRX660

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the reply. The website directs me to a Microsoft site that I have already read. Is CPU temps from 45 -50 C hot? I'm at 43C right now, but the crashes were occuring independent of the CPU temps (warm or cold).

I wish I could figure out which drivers or which hardware is giving me the problem. I had switched off the Ethernet connection (to get rid of an icon that kept appearing in the system tray no matter what I did to try and hide it) and so I have turned that back on just in case that was causing the problem. I have also recently installed 512MB of RAM that I purchased from Crucial. How does one go about determining if the RAM is defective? The computer registers this RAM just fine on the Systems Properties. Thanks again for the help.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
RAM can be faulty and still register on the System Properties. If you suspect it's the ram, remove that stick for a few days, and see if you have anymore BSODs.

If so, take it back to where you bought it, explain what has been happening, and they should gladly replace your RAM, for free.

Myself I just got a 512 stick yesterday :tazz:

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
to enable yourself to read the entire bsod, right click on my computer, go to the advanced tab, then click settings under startup and recovery, and untick the 'automatically restart' button. That will leave it on the screen until you physically shut the machine down. If it's a driver issue, you will most likely find something with a .sys ending on it, after all the hexadecimal info.

v

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks again for the replies. I tried to shut off the automatic restart, but it still restarted on its own. Yesterday was the first time that the computer crashed and the BSOD held. This error read:

0x0000004e (0x00000099, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I Google'd this code and it suggested a RAM error. The problem I have is that the BSOD is random and unpredictable. I'm not sure that removing the RAM will necessarily mean that the RAM is bad if I don't get this error again. Further, since I have an HP TC4200 and I don't have a USB floppy or CDROM drive, I can't seem to get the RAM testing programs to work (even on the USB drive). Does anyone know how I can test my RAM with just the USB flash drive? Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can go to www.memtest86.com ...they have instructions on making a bootable cd to test the ram...

also...runing with an undervoltaged cpu can cause full crashes, memory corruption, hard disk corruption, driver failures...and anything else that has anything to do with the processor (should be read as anything you do with the computer)...try setting your bios back to defaults and see if it fixes some of the BSODS

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
You were right. It was the undervolting. At the higher multipliers, I had set the voltage too low. I reset the voltage and now I don't have any more BSOD. Thanks.