Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cracking windows 2000

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i have just been given a machine of a friend to screw around with like change windows and muck around with to try to get more familiar with windows but i have 1 problem
the bloody thing has a password and he cant remember what it is its running windows 2000 and i dont have another cd the only thing i can get is xp home or pro or i could get windows me and i really dont think that the machine could handle xp the machine is probably like 5- 7 years old its running a pentium 2 proccesor with 128 pc133 ram but im not sure the clock speeds of the proccessor i cant get on to load eversest or anything (could find out through bios)
the main problem is that i need to remove the password without formatting the hard drive becasue i dont have any drivers it has a pci network card pci graphics card and a pci scuzzy card (dont no what the [bleep] that is lol) so is there a way to remove the password without formatting the hard drive and lossing my hard drives
thanks so much for any advice :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many people put new operating systems on systems that are clearly unable to cope. That system probably struggles and would be better off with being wiped in all honesty.

Anyway if its somebody else's machine and not yours, you'd learn a lot more about Windows by finding a copy of Windows 98SE/ME, wiping that machine and putting one of those on and then finding the drivers for everything. Getting Windows to talk to and accept a SCSI card is going to be one of the hardest things, after finding modem drivers.

On the other hand, XP will know what to do with most of the hardware already but thatt's a cop-out option and will teach you little if anything apart from how to press the right keys.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 January 2006 - 04:05 AM.

ar31791

ar31791

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wait, I'm confused. You don't have the password for logging onto the computer? Can you get onto the computer at all?

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no it is running windows 2000 NOT window XP or anyhting!

the problem is that the machine was given to me by a friend that has a password on it just like any other computer as in when the computer starts up goes through the bios loads and then the windows log on screen appeares asking for the user name and password but i dont have it and my friend isnt sure what it is

the problem with formatting the hard drive is that i dont think that i will be able to find drivers for the pci graphics card, network card and scuzzy card becasue i dont no the manafacturer or model names.
is there a way to crack the username and password enabeling me to get onto the machine and run eversest and find out exactly what cards are connected soi can start to search for drivers. so that i can formatt the hard drive or just clean it
thanks

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Getting drivers is no big deal, esp using XP. However, we do not give cracking advice on G2G. Topic closed.

Johanna