Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have an APG slot?

• Please log in to reply

mrme

mrme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I was using norton utilities and went into system information. I noticed it had pci buses ect. listed but didn't have an APG bus listed. Does this mean i cant get a new graphics card. Im not interested in getting a new system (bought in 2003).
Thanks

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
if you bought the system in 93 then the chances are that it WILL have an agp slot ...they are usually coloured a dark brown and usually situated either at the bottom of the pci slots or indeed at the top (please take care when opening your comp and if youre replacing any boardsmake sure you unplug the base unit from the main supply and also remember to earth yourself ...it only take a wee bit of static to damage delicate circuits and ics)... on the very rare chance you dont have a agp slot then you can buy a pci type graphics card however these arent easily found and they arent as good as agp based gcs

hope this helps you

:tazz: mike

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hi,

if i'm right nortons utilities only display the slots being used. check you'r motherboard manual that you should have got with the machine. it should show you a diagram of the motherboard with all expansion slots, e.g PCI, AGP. if you don't have one check the motherboard makers web site, their you will find a diagram of board, or you can open tower agp slots are usuallly a brown colour and are nearest the processor.

mrme

mrme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys, I checked the intel website and found that the 865G has 1 APG 8x slot.

Jammy18

Jammy18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had the same question, and after reading these posts i checked on the hp website for my computer spec, and found i do not have an AGP slot. i looked inside my computer and i seem to have all the right connections in there, it is just the actual slot i do not have, is there any way of buying just a slot?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No you can not buy a agp slot