Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Modem no longer makes dialing sound, though I can still connect!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Metallica from the Malware Removal Forum helped me get rid of the WinFixer infection last weekend (thank you Metallica! :tazz: )

He tried to help me with my modem, which is no longer making the dialing sound when I connect to the Internet. Since he could not, he referred me here.

This isn't a major problem like the WinFixer infection I had, but I'm curious as to why my modem doesn't make the dialing sound it once did before the WinFixer infection. I looked at Audio Properties, Volume Control and more. I did have a few things muted, but I unchecked those and my modem still doesn't make any sound when dialing my ISP's dial-up number.

Fortunately, it will still connect to the Internet most of the time, but sometimes it will connect at a slower than optimum speed, which I used to be able to determine by listening to the "static" when it was dialing. If it sounded like too much static, I would cancel the dial and redial for a faster connection. However, I can no longer do that since it doesn't make any sounds when dialing. Instead, I have to wait and see what the computer displays as my connection speed and see whether it is the highest speed I can obtain (usually 46.6 Kbps.) If it isn't, then I have to disconnect and then redial.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75-S213, with a Toshiba Software Modem, Version 2.1.38 (SM2138ALD04) and I have Realtek AC97 Audio as my device. CoreComm is my ISP (they're based in Michigan, while I live in Ohio.)

Under Sounds and Audio Device Properties, under Advanced Audio Properties, my speaker settings were set to Desktop Stereo Speakers, but since I have a Laptop, I thought that Laptop Stereo Speakers was the best option (I'm not sure if that setting was always Desktop Stereo Speakers or not.) I thought that would correct the lack of dialing sound, but it didn't.

Also, I input a Video Professor CD that I have into my CD-ROM drive to see if my laptop speakers were affected by the WinFixer infection, but the Video Professor CD's sound played well - I could hear every word.

Therefore, it's just the lack of dialing sound my modem used to make that is missing. What exactly could be causing it and what setting(s) do I need to change in order to get the dialing sound back?

Like I said, this isn't a major problem compared to the Winfixer infection, but this annoys me because I know something is different on my computer (probably due to the Winfixer infection) and I can't figure out how to get the settings back to the way they were.

By the way, I have one other question that isn't exactly related to my modem's lack of dialing sound problem:

What exactly does MSN Explorer do and can I remove it safely from my system? It takes up 20.9 MB. I know that someone in the Malware Removal forum suggested that you can remove Windows Messenger if you don't use it and save on RAM - when I was doing that, I noticed the MSN Explorer program and wondered if the same can be done with it or if that's not a good idea.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please take care, keep up the great work, and have a good day! :)

Edited by spywarehelp3, 29 January 2006 - 02:59 AM.