Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL connection drops when screen saver comes on

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
:) My DSL connection keeps dropping out whenever the screensaver comes on. It then has to renew the IP address which I do by asking it to be repaired. I called the ISP and they got me to take the cord out of the modem and the computer and swap them around. Also take the power off the modem for a minute then put it back in. Also got me to uncheck the box in Network Connections, Local Area Connection Properties, General which says Notify me when there is limited or no connectivity. They reckon there must have been a loose connection. Asked the guy if any other incorrect settings anywhere could be causing it and he said no. Did all this and everything was OK 'till I went away for half an hour and when I returned the screensaver was on and I got a notice saying something like there is no internet connection do you want to work offline? So I had to go back to control panel and go thru the rigmarole of repairing the connection again.

Any suggestions? :tazz:

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Go to Control Panel > Internet options . Connections > Settings > Advanced:

Remove the ticks from both of the 'Disconnect if Idle for...' boxes. See if that helps. :tazz:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you Coachwife6. At Connections there was nothing in the "Dialup and VPN Settings". It is set up for LAN settings. I added "Broadband Connection" to the Dialup & VPN and then pressed Settings. The LAN is not set up for Proxy so I didn't set this one up for Proxy and therefore cannot get into the Advanced settings. Should it be set up for Proxy? :tazz:

In the meantime, I'll set my screen saver to go on in a couple of minutes and see if the connection holds. Cheers

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Phew ... that was a big mistake!! :tazz: When I came back in after screensaver there was no connection and a message requesting me to dial the connection so I pressed connect and it just kept dialling. I went and changed it all back in Internet Options. Then everything was going really slow and the machine was making lots of noises and I got the message about virtual memory low. As well when I came back in after the screensaver, with no connection, the AntiVir Guard was off and when I tried to activate it I couldn't. So I rebooted and everything came back OK.

I leave the computer on all day and night - it gets used all the time - and in the wee hours of the morning (like very soon) I've got it set to check for updates, do a virus scan and a spyware scan. Could it just be running too hot or something cause I don't give it a rest?

The messages in the Event Viewer are interesting and I have saved them to the clipboard, however, I cannot for the life of me work out how to access the clipboard!! "Not able to renew address from Network....", "Lost lease to its address....", "Browser forced an election on network ......because a master browser was stopped".

This problem also sometimes means the AntiVir updater can't get access to the net to update - this doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time. Spose I'd better check that the other auto updaters have been doing their thing!

A couple of weird things have been happening and I've done all the stuff in the Malware Checklist up to doing the Hijack this. I was waiting to see how it all ran. So far it's been OK except for all this. Should I post to the Malware forum?

Would be great to sort this out.

Thank you for your help. :)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
If you feel you have a malware problem, then I would post a hijack this log in the malware section. I don't believe the screensaver and DSL kick-off are related to malware.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Do you have any suggestions? All the scans showed was a couple of cookies and an Msconfig variant which have all been cleaned. So I guess there probably isn't any malware causing it, as you say.

When I took the computer out of the screensaver just now and tried to get onto this site I again had no connectivity. Tried a couple of times and then went through control panel to Network connections and by the time I got there it showed as connected. Perhaps I just need to be a little patient and give it time to do its thing.

What are your thoughts?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Just thought I'd give an update. Haven't been having the problem since last post. Only other thing I can remember I did was to check the box in Network connections Properties to show an icon in nofitication area when connected. Every now and then this produces a bubble saying I am now connected, so I guess the system is renewing the IP successfully now (have been getting the bubble as well when it comes out of screensaver). I'll assume all is now OK and only post if things change.

Thank you for your help.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I know that there is a setting that says when the computer is idle or the screensaver comes up, that it disconnects your ISP. You can tur your screensaver off until you find the setting.

Did you used to have dial-up and just switched over?

maybe this article has your answer. :tazz:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you coachwife6. Checked out the article, however, when it was getting to the juicy bit it stopped and asked me to subscribe, so I didn't continue. Yes I did switch over from dial up (about four months ago) and the problem has been happening on and off since (more on lately though). I also recall the line dropping out quite a lot with dialup and I assumed this was something to do with the telephone line.

It has been OK during the past couple of days. When it's been idle for a while or the screensaver has come on, the baloon saying it has now connected comes back and if I am patient (can be hard!) and wait a few minutes then everything is as it should be. I've set the screensaver to come on much later than I had it set before. I wouldn't know where to start to look for the setting you mentioned and suspect I'm better not going on a goose hunt when I really don't know much of what I'm doing! :tazz:

Thank you. :)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Working now, but I bet when you switched over to broadband and off of dial-up, there is still something ticked that says to disconnect when idle

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This is DanG's advice: He's pretty smart. :tazz:

You could ask the user to check this setting:
Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Configure... button --> Select the Power Management tab --> Ensure that Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. is unchecked.

However, I have a feeling that the problem is caused by some of those errors/warnings in the Event Log -- she can just copy the information from the Event Log by highlighting it, pressing Ctrl+C and then pasting it on the forum... Rather than saving it to the clipboard as she was doing.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you coachwife6 and DanG.

Did all DanG suggested and the selection I get after pressing configure doesn't have a power management tab. Its only got General, Advanced, Driver and Resources. In the advanced there are three options: (1) Link Speed/Duplex Mode - it is set at Auto Mode (2) Network Address - with a choice of not present or a value which I have to put in - it is set at not present (3) Receive Buffer Size - this is set at 64K bytes.

OK will do the pasting thing:

The server {0254F2B0-7116-40FC-8551-A2ED8C0C5872} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Same as above again, then

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 220.236.220.64 on the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2D83E487-48B6-4F79-AB85-633E1AA7500F} because a master browser was stopped.

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736. The IP address being used is 169.254.72.127.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2D83E487-48B6-4F79-AB85-633E1AA7500F} because a master browser was stopped.

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 220.236.220.64 on the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736.

The above are in sequence, however there are a few others which frequently come in, but not always:

The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

The IP address lease 220.236.189.104 for the Network Card with network address 00E04C022736 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{2D83E487-48B6-4F79-AB85-633E1AA7500F} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

I checked the status of the network connection and copied the page fyi. It shows that the IP lease is only for a minute or something. Don't know if this is normal. Also took another screenshot of same a little while later for comparison. In this time I have not lost connection. Will attach these (if I am able???!!!)
Hope this all helps.

Thank you. You're :tazz:

Edit: Doesn't look like my attachments worked too well! So I'll try and paste here: This is in network connection - status - support tab - connection status (includes address type Assigned by DHCP) details -
and this is what I get:

Physical Address: 00-E0-4C-02-27-36
IP Address: 58.105.125.66
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 58.105.125.66
DHCP Server: 10.1.1.1
Lease Obtained: 2/2/2006 11:11:15 AM
Lease Expires: 2/2/2006 11:12:15 AM
DNS Servers: 211.29.132.12, 198.142.0.51
WINS Server:

Edited by supernewbie, 01 February 2006 - 06:15 PM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I posted details of my network connection on the internet forum today and am wondering if I am leaving myself open or identifiable. :tazz: I.e. could unscrupulous people spam or interfere with my system from the info I have provided. If so, would it be possible for a staff or admin person to hide the relevant information? My post is called "DSL connection drops when screensaver comes on". Many thanks. :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey guys. I have just had another session with my ISP. They believe it's the option in the Power Management tab, which was what was suggested by DanG. Only thing is I don't have this tab. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi supernewbie,
I'm not sure why you don't have a Power Management tab, however you could ensure that you are actually logged in as the Administrator, or alternately that your account has admin privileges.

The server {0254F2B0-7116-40FC-8551-A2ED8C0C5872} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

From your screenshot, I see that you have ZoneAlarm. In my experience, ZA can often block certain IP's that you need to maintain an active connection with your ISP. The next time you're talking with your ISP, you should ask them for the range of DNS Servers that they use, and then add that range of IP's to your ZA's Trusted Zone.

Lease Obtained: 2/2/2006 11:11:15 AM
Lease Expires: 2/2/2006 11:12:15 AM

:tazz: You should also ask your ISP why the lease time is so short... It's usually set at around 3 days... Not one minute.

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{2D83E487-48B6-4F79-AB85-633E1AA7500F} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

This would suggest that it's a Power Management issue.