Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buzzing/Humming from Tower

• Please log in to reply

Reevinja

Reevinja

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Heya,

I hope this is the right place for this ;P, anyhoo:

I'm getting a buzzing/humming noise coming from my computer that varies in intensity and noise level. It's kind of hard to describe more then that though. When it first started, I noticed the air where my PSU was began to slow and eventually came to a dead halt so I had my PSU replaced and now everything is fine in that department.. only it's still making the noise. Before the PSU was replaced, it was occassional quiet before being loud agian but now it just seems to be constantly making noise.

When it started, I simply had the psu and an 80gb hd installed. After I got my psu replaced a 200gb replacement went in as my primary and the 80gb moved to a secondary drive. I think that's all the hardware changes..

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can open the side of the computer you can locate where the buzzing is coming from. Check to see if the processor fan is dirty and making the sounds. Check all the fans also. This sounds like the fans got dirt and lint in them and are becoming imbalanced and slowing down. You can buy new fans and install them rather cheply. I would suggest using nexfan as they have some of the best prices around. I buy dozens of fans at a time and have never had a problem with this company.

http://www.nexfan.com/

SRX660