Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Absolute Positioning?

• Please log in to reply

Earl is Trash

Earl is Trash

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am new to web design, and I have no idea how to fix my current problem. Whenever I resize the my web page, objects on my page move around to adjust for the new window size. How do I make everything stay put?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Design it properly in the first place. :tazz: The problem with dyanmic positioning of items is exactly this; what happens when the window size is changed? The issue of course to you as a designer is how to handle this situation.

Give us a web address to the page in question please and we'll have a look.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
If you want everything to stay in one place no matter what happens, absolute position is the answer. But it could be a problem for people with different screen sizes.

Earl is Trash

Earl is Trash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
The site isnt uploaded yet, for the simple reason that it's shifts around upon resize. Would the code help or should I just just upload the site anyways, and let you have a look?

Edited by Earl is Trash, 30 January 2006 - 06:17 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
you can take a few screenshots if you don't want to upload it...

Earl is Trash

Earl is Trash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Notice how the Iframe (with text in it) and the "Prying Eyes" jpg shifts upon resizing the window.

Attached File  1.bmp   270.25KB   286 downloads

Edited by Earl is Trash, 02 February 2006 - 10:53 AM.

Earl is Trash

Earl is Trash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Attached File  2.bmp   270.25KB   227 downloads

This is how I would like it to look upon any window resize

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Notice how the Iframe (with text in it) and the "Prying Eyes" jpg shifts upon resizing the window.

I don't see any shifting :tazz: the image/iframe stays in the center even after you resize it, that's the opposite of shifting.

To get it to look like 2.bmp in any screen size, the image needs to resize itself, and move, for that matter. I don't know which way you should go at this point, but I'm sure it's not absolute positioning. Maybe what you need is a fluid layout, but I'm not exactly sure how you would go about creating one with this type of layout. Sorry I can't help more :)

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Can you post your source code please using the "code" button above so it shows only as text.