Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP WITH NETWORKING, URGENT! :-)

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of trouble with networking, below's the story:

My sister needs her photos that are on the PC to be on her laptop ASAP, the problem is, her laptop's wireless and the PC isn't.
I want to transfer the photos over via a network (LAC/LAN) connection because there are over 2gigs of them...

We have a wireless netgear router and I have connected her laptop into one of the ethernet plugs on my router, what do I do next?

My sister is going away soon and wants to show our grandparents the photos...

Thanks again :-)

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated! :)

Advertisements

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi there, you need to create your network. And enable file and printer sharing. You can hard wire or wirelessly set up your network providing you have the wireless nics. You will need to name your workgroup for both computers and be sure they both belong to the same workgroup. You will need to create a share for any files you want to have access to on both computers. Run the network setup wizard- it will guide you through the steps. You can go to help and support and search for network and follow instructions.

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Rive, hopefully you are following this post. I have the same predicament. And the reason it Is a predicament is because the network is BOTH wireless and wired...when I try to create a home network it only shows my ethernet connection...so what should be done?

Edited by Meetloaf13, 01 February 2006 - 01:18 PM.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
look, i have a CAT-5 cable now which seems very similar to ethernet.

HOW DO I SET UP THE NETWORK TO SHARE FILES?

STEP BY STEP?

not "run setup wizard, hope you know how to allow file share access... Oh yeah you need a wireless dongle too..."

Remember, i DON'T have a wireless adapter for my PC, i have a wireless router wired up 2 my PC and connected to my laptop wirelessly, I have an ethernet cable and CAT5, WHAT DO I DO??

love you all really... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the computer sans wireless connect your ethernet cable (ethernet and cat 5...same t hing in this application) to the ethernet port on your router...now you should have the other computer connected wirelessly...though in y our original post you said that t he laptop was connected via ethernet...which may make this easier by the way if both machines are connected via ethernet cable

now...IF both machine's are xp...which you never stated...then all you need to do is run the network setup wizard on both machines...this wizard will help you enable file and print sharing and set up a workgroup.

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Do you have an ethernet port in your laptop? If you do, simply connect the lappy and the PC via your ethernet/cat5 cable (might need a cross-over cable, but I don't for some reason) and create a peer-to-peer network. You can find a step-by-step for that here.

If you don't have an ethernet port, then I will help you as soon as someone helps me with the same problem. :tazz:

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

on the computer sans wireless connect your ethernet cable (ethernet and cat 5...same t hing in this application) to the ethernet port on your router...now you should have the other computer connected wirelessly...though in y our original post you said that t he laptop was connected via ethernet...which may make this easier by the way if both machines are connected via ethernet cable

now...IF both machine's are xp...which you never stated...then all you need to do is run the network setup wizard on both machines...this wizard will help you enable file and print sharing and set up a workgroup.

The laptop is connected to the router wirelessly for internet but i have an ethernet and now a CAT5 cable connected between the laptop ad router too...

They both are on XP (pro and home).

I'll see if it's that simple, last time I tried it didn't seem to work...

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When you try to get the wired network/connection running for both machines, make sure you disable the wireless connection just in case.

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Dom,

sorry so long getting back..

My sister needs her photos that are on the PC to be on her laptop ASAP, the problem is, her laptop's wireless and the PC isn't.
I want to transfer the photos over via a network (LAC/LAN) connection because there are over 2gigs of them...

We have a wireless netgear router and I have connected her laptop into one of the ethernet plugs on my router, what do I do next?

ok, you have the desk top p.c connected to the router, the modem plugs into the back of the router, then the cat 5 cable out of the router to the nic on the back of the p.c.
You will need to run the network setup wizard on both computers and make certain you use the same workgroup name on both computers. Also, on the laptop, you should see a little computer icon in lower right corner- you click on that and choose view available wireless networks...here you should see the name of your netgear router- it is called the SSID name. select it, and choose connect, a box will pop up prompting you for the password and enter it and this should allow you access to the network. You will run the network setup and choose file and print sharing and select the files or drives you want to share simply by right clicking on them and choose share- give it a name and you should be able to share. I hope this helps. And if you have problems post back, and also windows xp has a tutorial in the search...type in home network... :tazz:

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
hey here is a good tutorial you can print out and follow..

http://www.geekgirls...ome_network.htm :tazz:

Advertisements

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Good tutorial. My only problem with that one is that it does not specify how to set up a network that has a wireless router, which directly connects to a PC, and another PC that is connected wirelessly...I believe that's the problem here. Atleast that is my problem, I when I try to configure the network, only my ethernet adapter shows up, and not my wireless one.

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Good tutorial. My only problem with that one is that it does not specify how to set up a network that has a wireless router, which directly connects to a PC, and another PC that is connected wirelessly...I believe that's the problem here. Atleast that is my problem, I when I try to configure the network, only my ethernet adapter shows up, and not my wireless one

on the wireless computer look in the device manager and network adapters to see if your wireless nic is there and no yellow exclamation points. Next in lower right corner of you wireless computer right click on the wireless computer icon down by the clock....then select view available wireless networks...again here is where you should see your ROUTER'S SSID...select it then click on connect...you will be prompted for the password- which will be the p/w used to access your router...at this point you should be able to connect to the internet...once this is done, run the network setup wizard. be sure both computers are set with the same workgroup name...then you will need to select what folders/drives you want to share...right click on them and select share- provide the share name...oh, make sure you run setup wizard on both computers. hope this helps...

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Dominic, I hope your problem is solved.

Rive, I have decided to seek help in this post, b/c people seem to be ignoring mine. I have done all you have told and no changes.

Here's my setup. COmcast ISP. CABLE MODEM to LinkSys WRT54G wireless router, ethernet cable to one laptop, and wireless card on the other. I can SEE the wireless laptop from the wired one, and when I double click on it's icon I get this annoying "...not accessible. You might not have permission to....blah blah blah" THis message happens even when I sign in through the guest account. The computers cannot see eachother through Itunes, and Printer sharing isn't working either. The wired laptop does not show up on the wireless one.

Here's some more that might help. I can ping both computers, not only by typing the IP's, but also the computer names and the ping run succesfully with 1ms each time. Both have windows XP sp2 all updates, and both run McCaffee SecurityCenter (windows firewall disabled on both).

I hope you can help. I read earlier on some website, which I can't find anymore, that the problem is that one is wireless and the other is not...but I don't know about that b/c I didn't have this problem on my parent's wireless network. Anywho, thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it shouldn't be a problem to network between wired and wireless...as long as both machine's have the same ip shceme...

are both computers in the same ip range?
do both have the same subnet mask?
are both showing your router as the default gateway?

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Meetloaf13

Here's my setup. COmcast ISP. CABLE MODEM to LinkSys WRT54G wireless router, ethernet cable to one laptop, and wireless card on the other. I can SEE the wireless laptop from the wired one, and when I double click on it's icon I get this annoying "...not accessible. You might not have permission to....blah blah blah" THis message happens even when I sign in through the guest account. The computers cannot see eachother through Itunes, and Printer sharing isn't working either. The wired laptop does not show up on the wireless one.

Can you access the internet from both computers? Have you used your xp disk and run the network setup wizard?
You say file and print sharing is not working? Are you "obtaining ip address automatically" or static? If static, try and set automatically, and as said earlier, are you in the same ip range?
Is the wireless card you are using a linksys or another? I am going to suggest you try this:

http://www.linksysfi...htm?CallerID=SP

let me know how this works- should get you up and going!