Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked Out ! Help!

• Please log in to reply

tomcat31875

tomcat31875

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded a security lockout program from Dynamic Designs Inc I setup the program to lock down the whole system. To keep relatives out of my computer. Its performance was not to my liking so I uninstalled it with the uninstall program. As soon as I did it locked me out of everything except the control panel folder and the recycle bin but I can't open any of the programs in the control panel that is showing. which is a grand total of four programs and a window pops up that says that I do not have permission to access this program. to please contact system administrator. I have tried entering safe mode during boot up and have been unsuccessful. However I am able to get to my BIOS setup menu though and I have rearranged the boot sequence on the advise of a different tech support site but that did not help in entering safe mode or unlocking my computer. So can someone help ????

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tomcat31875...

Go HERE and download the Win98SE OEM version bootdisk...save it to your desktop. Double-click the downloaded file and put a floppy in the the floppy drive when prompted to do so. This will create a startup disk that will help with the following procedure. Put the newly created startup disk in the "bad" machine and reboot.

When you get to the Options Screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt...You will see the prompt A:\. Type C: and press "Enter" At the C:\ prompt, type Windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter". If this works, you will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down three to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

This will hopefully restore your operating system to an early enough configuration that it will start. Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 February 2006 - 07:25 PM.