Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

O/C my GCard Memory

• Please log in to reply

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello,

I've been wondering if I could O/C the memory clock on my X800 XL. It's only currently at 33 C idle while my core is 48 C idle. Do you think it would be safe to push up the memory numbers without harm? Will I notice a significant performance increase? I will edit the topic when I know the temperature of the memory under full load.

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: My memory is at 38 C under full load.

Edited by FalloutYear, 29 January 2006 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
You may experience some increase in performance but it's not really worth it. A few Mhz increase can ease out the stutters. For example, if you were playing a game and it lags a bit, not much but every so often when things hot up, it may pay but if it stutters non stop, it's best to forgo it and get a new card. when i mean non stop, i mean 20FPS or under. but be warned. i thought i'd OC my card and in the end, i've fried it up. be very carefull! OCing is usually only for bragging rights and those who want to push their system to the limit for a lot of tinkering. Maybe if you're lucky and you have a recent ASUS card, you can do AI NOS but other than that, it's all up to you. So my advice is to get a new card if you want top FPS, turn down the detail or OC it a few MHz. mainly OC the GPU, 5Mhz is a lot in gfx terms, 10 is getting quite up there, 15+ if you have deep pockets and a brave heart. but to that, i've seen XFX factory OC their 7800 by 60MHz GPU using the same cooler so there is room to push but i recommend 5Mhz, then 1Mhz up every time until you're happy, or too high and you're sad like me when i blew mine out of the water.

Your memory shouldn't need musch OCing, it mainly helps the transfer of data between to GPU and CPU, RAM etc. best to OC you GPU. If you're wanting to do extreme OC, it may pay to get another HFS, Zalman make good ones or you can get water cooling but for me, water and electricity never mix well. i've never experienced lag because of memory, it's mainly the GPU being unable to cope with the pixel requirements

to find out how many pixels your gfx card can out put, multiple MHz by pixelpipe lines
eg. 7800CGTX is standard clocked at 430Mhz with 24 pixelpipe line so pixel out put is
430 x 24 =10320 mega pixels or 10.32 gigapixels, 10,320,000,000 pixels
if you OC it to 450Mhz then
450 x 24 = 10.8 gigapixels, enough to smooth out a frame or two but not enough for big hits

Edited by Hammm, 30 January 2006 - 02:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can usually get a good,40-50 Mhz on the x800xl and the memory easily goes up past 1100Mhz, i get a fair boost on mine, its not huge difference but it is a difference, an arctic silencer would help keep the temps down, i have stopped gfx card ocin at the moment because i started getting errors with ATI tool and the newest drivers.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered an Arctic Cooler 5 for my card recently. My memory right now is at 500mhz (I think it's dual memory). I have frame rates in Battlefield 2 from 50-100 depending on the map detail. All my settings are fully up except the AA. I do get frame rate drops but I think that is because of the temperature my card reaches (70-85) at full load. I've read reviews about the HSF I ordered and a lot of people claimed 20 celcius drops which would have some room for OCing.. The only thing I worry about is the installation of the thermal paste - don't want to mess that one up.

Thanks,
Matt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its always a nerve racking experience mucking with paste but its not that hard it just seems like it at the time.