Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adsl connection drops when talking on the phone?!

• Please log in to reply

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
first of all, when the modem is on, there is some kind of noise when picking up the phone. and putting the phone down again ,the dsl connection drops and i have to turn the modem off and on again. is this a matter of my modem (as i probably have the wors modem tha has ever existed) or is there something i can do about it?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
i am sorry i am a bit confused here. you are trying to connect through dsl correct? and what browser are you using?

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
nothing to do with the browser. the adsl connection is running, it just gets disconnected when the i use the phone. weird stuff...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Almost always a problem with the filters.

You need a filter on every phone socket that's also got a phone plugged into it, but you don't need filters on sockets that don't have phones.

This also applies to extensions as well. Cordless phones, with only one base and a separate charging cradle, will use the (filtered) socket that the base is plugged into.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 January 2006 - 01:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello, i know that this might sound really stupid but when i had an alarm system i had similar problems. When ever we turned the thing on we lost our connecting. They guy that came and looked at it said something about filters however i never really asked him to go into detail as i was in a rush to leave. So.. what i'm saying here is something that has been mentioned before make sure you have a filter on EVERY phone, as it is needed, don't know ever reason but one of the many is that it'll be fussy and might even as you say creat funny noises in the background.
If all else fails i would just get a new modem as a new one comes out like once every 2 months. But i'm have every low expectations that this would in fact fix the problem, however it would shrink the amount of possiblities if you are up to giving it a try.
Hope my information will help ya out.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 January 2006 - 08:08 PM.

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
this might sound even more stupid, but i am very new to adsl, as it had not been widely used here till recently, and i m now beginning to understand how the whole thing works, so... i have no idea about filters. but it does sound like something i can buy and put on the socket:P

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya there really cheap as far as i know i think you'll be paying about 5 bucks ea. However i can't really think of where you would buy them? I guess you would call up your telephone company and they'll let ya know. Also if you would like to know what they look like, you can click on the attachment, they are about the same size as the attachment without enlarging it. And placing a filter on each phone should fix your problem, if not it'll fix the noise in your phone anyways.
thanx
James

Attached Thumbnails

• B00006B6BP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Schlitter

Schlitter

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This may sound weird for ya. I used to have a "newer" router for my system. It was making noises with and without a filter. So we went and bought an older type router and it cleared things up. The company said it was the brand of router that was causing the problem. I don't remember the name of the router, but it started with an "W".

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
None of it sounds weird i have had similar problems and as for your last post no question is stupid, this is how we learn. Anyways believe it or not for some reason our internet companies don't like to work with other companies for various different reason (might have had i disagreement in the past:P) i had problems with a router and was forced by the company to go and buy a new one! So this could have very well happend, as for the noises, never heard of them coming from a router.....could happen i guess however don't really know what this could mean. But don't place a filter on any of the wires that have something to do with the internet, thats not what they are for.
thanx
James

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yes i put filters and it s all better now, thanks a lot everyone :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff