Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot write files to CD RW disk-PC thinks it full when it is not

• Please log in to reply

mc pc pls work

mc pc pls work

• Pip
  • 4 posts
In the last month or so my CDRW drive has not allowed me to write new files to a CDRW disk. Prior to this problem I was able to read & write files to my CDRW disks. It is my desire to have these disks treated as RW data disks that I can access through My Computer.

The error box the pops up when I try to write a file to the CD that already has a file on it is:
=============================================================
Error: Reserve Device

Device is reserved by another process: Drive reported an unknown error (0x000001a)
You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access.

(Animated red X is repeatedly drawn through a CD graphic on the left side of the box)
==============================================================

I can write a file to a new CD after formatting it. When I try to write another file I get the above error message. Clearly I can't have 1 CD per file that I'm trying to save.

My CDRW drive is a Plextor PX-W4824TA (EIDE). I have owned the PC since 12/2002. The problem showed up in late Nov-early Dec 2005. I have hoped that it might just go away. It has not.

I can read/load software from CD's that are supplied by software manufacturers. So, the CDRW drive seems to be able to read OK.

Do I need to replace the Plextor CDRW drive? Or, can a simple SW fix be done??

The PC also has a DVD-R drive (Toshiba TOS/1712 EIDE) that is not giving any problems.

I am modestly knowledgable about PC's. My preference is to just use them to get a job done and NOT dig into their inner secrets.

As an example of the symptom, one of my CD's a 3MB file on it (700MB capacity CD). When I right click properties, the CD shows up as full in the pie chart of used & free space.

I will appreciate any help that can be provided!

Edited by mc pc pls work, 29 January 2006 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The "Error: Reserve Device" message seems to be an issue with Roxio and EasyCD/EZCD. In fact this program is known to break under Windows 2000 and XP and needs an update:

http://www.roxio.com...e_updates.jhtml

Failing that dump Roxio altogether, its on a par with AOL for being a pain in the rectum.

mc pc pls work

mc pc pls work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the recommendation. The Roxio site upgrade does not work. They seem to want me to purchase a new version/edition. Before I do this do you (or other 'geek') have any recommendations on what is a good CDwriter/burner SW package (reliable, EASY to use)? Or, should I just use what MS furnishes?

Thanks!

Edited by mc pc pls work, 29 January 2006 - 10:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apologies if this is wide of the mark, but have you checked they are set to record as multi session and not to close after burning

mc pc pls work

mc pc pls work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith,

No I have not. However, in the past I have been able to record & erase my RWCD's at will. I don't recall ever having to specify recording for multi session and not to close after burning. The problem started a month or two ago. It is possible that a setting has been changed.

I deleted my Roxio application as recommended by Neil Jones. Perhaps I should reload it (I have the CD used by my PC seller to originally load the Roxio). If the Roxio application is not so good what would you recommend. I just recveived an email offer to purchase Zone Alarm Burning Studio 5 (I am a Zone Alarm firewall/security suite customer). Does Burning Studio 5 have a good reputation? If not, is there another one that has a good reputation.

I would appreciate any help that you can give or being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The setting with Roxio may have got changed somehow so you could try re-installing it.

My preference is for checking the drive will work before paying for another CD Writing programme, so try this to establish whether the CD Drive will record multi session

CDBurnerXP Pro is an easy to use CD/DVD burning software, that can write CD-R and CD-RW discs. The program can also write disks directly from an ISO image file, and save image as an ISO image file (*.iso). You can create data and audio CDs, and it supports Burn-Proof technology, multi-session disks, import of ISO images and more. In addition to CD burning, you can also rip audio CDs, normalize WAV files, encode MP3 files, erase disks, . CDBurnerXP Pro does not require ASPI when used under for NT/2000/XP.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

mc pc pls work

mc pc pls work

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith,
Using CDBurnerXP Pro I am able to burn a CD that is not full (had some Roxio burned files on it). That is I have been able to transfer some files to a CD that already had some files on it. With the XP Pro SW I have specified that I want the CD to record other data files in future recording sessions. I have not had a chance in the last half hour to check anything else. It SEEMS that my CDRW drive is OK. I am encouraged. I'll check into the problem some more when I need to transfer and recover some files from the CD.

I want to thank you for your help in getting me to this point!! I appreciate it!!