Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing .dll files after erroneous delete

• Please log in to reply

the_wax

the_wax

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, :tazz:

I would be most grateful for some help with the following issue:

(Using Windows ME)

After deleting what I thought were all unnecessary files, I found that my computer would only start in Safe Mode....although the screen was totally blank (CTRL-ALT-DELETE showed no processes running). I re-booted with a Start-Up Boot Disk, which suggested I run the scanreg utility. This found a problem with my registry, 'fixed it' and allowed me to start up in normal mode.....

....only problem is I am now getting error messages like this (in order of appearance):

i) RUNDLL
Error loading powrprof.dll
One of the library files needed to this application cannot be found

(appears at the password screen and after loading the desktop)

ii) ERROR STARTING PROGRAM
A required .DLL file, WINSPOOL.DRV, was not found

(Also get this message when I try to run certain programs, such as Ad-aware or Firefox; Internet Explorer still loads, but some websites have a problem)

iii) RUNDLL
Error loading C:\PROGR~1\[etc....]\METERI~1.DLL

(The [etc] seems to reference my Exceed Hummingbird x-server - I interface with a Unix/Linux machine a lot)

I have tried extracting the WINSPOOL file from the CAB files (number 16 - forget the full name) in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CAB. This seemed to proceed sucessfully, though I still get the error message telling me it isn't there when I reboot; I have no idea where to look for the powrprof.dll file.

VERY grateful for any help!

Paul

Advertisements

the_wax

the_wax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all again,

In case anyone else is having a similar problem, I think I have solved it by re-running setup from C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\setup. No more error messages and all my program files and documents survived ok.

Paul

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Congratulations, and Thank you for posting your remedy for the benefit for others ---- very commendable!