Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading watert cooling

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, i was wanting to buy a Water cooler for my system, but as i want to OC both my CPU and Graphics, is it possible to buy a water cooling kit (eg Applegate R120 or GigaByte Galaxy GH-WIU01) and add a VGA block to it later?

Im not buying an Asetek after i read a review where the guy stuck it together, it leaked and wasted a FX-57.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Leaking happens on any water cooling kit asetek are the best and its a reare thing happens more often with other kits, but no kit is leak free guaranteed its the risk you run for water cooling, most of the kits have a vga cooler as well, at lest the better ones do, swiftech is worth a look. But swiftech and asetek are the best money can buy for water cooling really.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
dang, i really wanna overclock my X850, but i dont wanna over do it and fry it. At the same time i guess a leaking water cooler would be as bad, plus my air cooler just isnt up to it, its a fancy gigabyte one but my cpu is still always 53ish.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good air cooling is usually sufficient, an arctic silencer(overclockers is out of them which is annoying me) or a zalman cooler for the gfx card are pretty good, CPU wise, the arctic HSF and thermal right are really good, the gigabyte one is pretty decent its certainly the better looking. Dont know how good the vapochill HSFs are but they are vapochill so ild imagine they are half decent.

Leaking doesnt happen very often, if you get a prefilled it can be less of a risk, i think the coolriver(its coolriver or coolwater) kit is prefilled and has cpu,chipset and vga block its one of the cheaper kits and its not the best performer but its better than most air and its performance decrease is because it cools all three main chips most only cool the cpu and you can add the vga later if you want to as an option.

You can get non conductive liquid coolant though for the kits so it doesnt matter if it leaks, it isnt cheap though although you get cheaper stuff now, the proper stuff still runs 90 odd quid a liter but it is also a superior coolant to water as far as i know the cheap stuff is just non conductive. You can also reduce water cooling risks by only using distilled water(deionised) it wont stop it crashing but it usually wont cause permanent damage, mind you water doesnt usually damage the system as long as you turn it off and keep it off then dry it thouroghly.

If you want to be leet go to the cyber cafe and read the cooling topic we have in there.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Well, i have a Gigabyte Overclocking Fan, it doesnt work, my 3200+ barton is still usually at approx 53 - 55 celcius. If i over clock it by just 66mhz Battlefield 2 crashes out and it fails a stress test. iv reseated it and used better heat paste, but no improvement.