Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with jump drive

• Please log in to reply

BriTackle

BriTackle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, hope you can help me out. I have a 512 MB jump drive (SanDisk Cruzer Mini) that I use to transfer files and as a backup for word documents and pictures. A few weeks ago I transferred some pictures onto it and as they were copying one of the picture files came back with an error. Sorry, can't remember what exactly it said but it was along the lines of an error during the writing of the file, but everything else seemed fine and the picture still showed up on the drive.
Now today I plug it in to update my backups and it goes really slow. My computer used to scan the drive when its plugged in then ask what I wanted it to do within a few seconds, now it takes at least a minute. Moving through folders is painfully slow. I have tried to delete the pictures folder with the bad file and just recopy it from my computer to see if that will help, but whenever I try to delete anything it comes back with a invalid path error message. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to get this thing back to normal? If need be, can I just reformat the drive? Everything on there is also on my computer and an external hard drive so I'm not worried about losing the data on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi BriTackle!

What I suggest you do is reformat the flash drive. To do this, open MY COMPUTER and right-click your drive corresponding to your flash drive and choose format. In the new window that pops up, change the format type to FAT32. Make sure the QUICK FORMAT checkbox is unchecked and click FORMAT. After it is done formatting, try copying files back onto it.

If that still doesn't work, then I suggest you try putting it in a different USB slot, like if you currently have it plugged into a usb port on the back of your computer, try one in the front if available and vice versa if it's current plugged into a usb port on the front.

Fenor

BriTackle

BriTackle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. I have tried it in different usb ports and different computers. So I tried to format as you suggested but windows came back with an error saying it was unable to complete the format. Any more suggestions?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Nothing else can be done that I know of. Looks like the drive is damaged.

Fenor

BriTackle

BriTackle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright, thanks for the help.