Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp product keys

• Please log in to reply

jumpmandan23

jumpmandan23

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So i built my new computer and I tried to use one of my old windows xp disks from my last computer. Obviously it didn't work when i tried to activate. But now i can not get past the log in screen until i activate windows xp and the product key with the old disk is an invalid one. This disk is just sp1 and i was wondering if i go out and buy windows xp home edition just for the product key, does it matter which one i get? Could i get the most recent one and have the product key still work or would i have to buy an old one that only had sp1 on it? Someone please help me out

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can buy a new one, install over itself, and use the new key

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the computer is new and not had anything on it, you can buy any version of XP and load it, together with its product key

jumpmandan23

jumpmandan23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the thing is, is that it was working and it kept saying i had 30 days to activate so i was installing all of my apps and updating critical files then after one restart it would not let me log back on until i activated the product. So you are saying that i can have bios boot up the new cd up first and reinstall it over the old system? Would i then lose all of my configurations? Just trying to clarify what you said. Thx a bunch for the help

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

the thing is, is that it was working and it kept saying i had 30 days to activate so i was installing all of my apps and updating critical files then after one restart it would not let me log back on until i activated the product.

It's supposed to do that.

What type of XP Licence did you get the original key from?
Have a look at the key and the patterns on it. If it has a brand name on it (Hewlett Packard, Compaq, Packard Bell, Dell, etc) then you need to buy a new copy as that licence cannot be transferred to your current machine.

If the sticker says "OEM Product" on it but doesn't have a brand name then if its never been used or activated, you should be okay, otherwise you need a new licence. But it sounds like this isn't the case.

IF your licence product key was found on the back of a green wallet written inside a small yellow sticker (and you have a great big green XP Home box) and you bought that from somewhere like Amazon or other retail vendors, then that licence will be valid and all you need do is pick up the phone and give Microsoft a call.