Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I delete these files without causing a system problem

• Please log in to reply

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
For anyone who might help....

I am trying to learn what I can and can't safely delete from my computer to keep it cleaned out. For example, I know to go to "tools, internet options, etc" and delete temporary internet files/cookies from there. However, I know that you must go directly into certain other folders to delete more than just "internet explorer" files.

My major question is: The pathway to a folder that contains many "temp" files <not temp internet files> that I"m wondering if I can delete is:
C:...\\Documents and Settings\Lisa\Local Settings\Temporary files.

This folder contains files like this: byeA4.tmp, Hsperfdata Lisa, G2 314, Office Update, SFX1F.tmp, Temporary Directory 1 for includes .zip, ISTMP2.DIR,nsd1F5.tmp and then individual files such as these are down below all the folders in the same window:~DF8B7F.tmp,~DF98FD.tmp,MSI4093c txt doc, jushed txt doc, DF5503.tmp, etc etc

The number of files and folders in this "temp file" folder is about 75-175 total.

My ? is...are these safe to delete like any temporary internet file is?

Thanks so much!
lisuzncats :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type %TEMP% then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, it will remove some then throw access denied at you, when this happens you will need to right click a file then click delete, you won't get anywhere trying to delete the ones with ~ in front of them

You can click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Generally you would leave temp files in place for a week or so just in case the programme they belong to wants them

Temp files are not large so they can stay there until they delete themselves

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To add to Keith's reply: on a modern XP system, it is not important to delete temp files. The temp file will only grow so large, and then the older files will be overwritten. Unless you have an unusually small hard drive, don't worry about them. In some cases, deleting temp files and cookies is more of an inconvenience, because pages might load more slowly, and cookies can be timesavers.

Johanna