Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my Hard Disk is dead ! Please Help !

• Please log in to reply

Tangz

Tangz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I think i've got a virus in my computer and am not able to do anything to read my HD. I shall start at the beginning of this tale of woe....

My usually trustworthy NAV started to malfunction (was getting annoying pop up messages) so i unistalled it from my comp. Then like a complete moron i installed Shareza on my unprotected computer. Immediately my computer started to slow down i.e it took a long time to boot up and shut down. i then uninstalled shareza and immediately downloaded AVG trial version...but by then my computer had degenerated to such a point that i could not run the installable. Later when i tried to start my computer it refused to boot up... I got the dreaded blue screen. I then started windows with a WinXp boot disk, i was able to see the listing of all the folders in all drives except C where the OS was installed. Another thing is that the mapping was all screwed up. I then tried to format my C drive and reinstall windows but then i got an error message like "Error in setup " and it just exited.
I then borrowed my friends HD and connected my HD as an slave to it. When i booted the computer, scan disk appeared. It appeared to scan my HDand then I got a horrible error message like "Data in volume label (some number) is entirely unreadable". When the computer then booted up i coudn't see any of my drives listed in My Computer despite having connected it as a slave. I can't think of anything else to do to save my hard disk. Any suggestion are welcome please :tazz: !

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Now you now know better than to install Shareza :tazz:

Unfortunately it sounds like your drive has died a horrible death and could just be co-incidence that it started going downhill after you installed that program.