Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process1_initialization_failed

• Please log in to reply

Ravish261

Ravish261

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have installed a new motherboard in my PC and when i try to boot windows xp i get the error:

[[ A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000006B (0x000007A, 0x00000008, 0x000000000, 0x000000000) ]]

I have googled for some answers and all i can find is to Repair windows through the setup, but my windows isn't damaged... it's a fresh install of windows xp and i also tried to preform chkdsk after deleting system files (after backing them up) in DOS prompt from the recovery console. Is there anyway to install my motherboard CD-ROM drivers without getting into windows xp?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to repair Windows after changing the motherboard; otherwise its going to be looking for the previous motherboard configuration and will complain bitterly about it not being there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i have no idea why someone moved this to here....

As Neil noted, switching the motherboard out and trying to get a previous installed OS to work results in this error. When someone does this, they must run a repair install the very first time they try to start and sometimes it works.

Repairs after this message occurs are unlikely to work. So, the question is, what is situation with this PC as far as data recovery. got A windows CD?

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't repair, that's what im saying though. I have a fresh installation of windows xp, i boot from the xp cd and go into setup and when i pass the EULA i don't get a repair message. I've gone into repair console and tried a few things but nothing has worked, i've reset the bios to default over and over, changed out different Memory chips and unplugged my second HDD just to see if it would help and the problem still occurs =(

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and what I said is you are not going to be able to repair...by starting windows in (to it) a different computer, you have completely hosed the installation. This is part of MS antipiracy scheme to prevent people from cloning drives and installing into multiple machines, not to mention to ensure stability by creating machine specific installations.

The only hope of a repair working is if you started the repair on the very first boot--and even then it is iffy

You will not repair/revive this install. It is dead. Deceased. It is no more.

You will need to reinstall windows

What I asked was what is the situation as far as data is concerned? do you need what is still on this drive, or can you wipe clean and start over (you must do this eventually, but you can still get your data by installing teh drive in another system)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geocities...re69/parrot.wav <---sorry...HAD to do it

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The HDD was completely reformatted... this is a fresh installation of windows, i said that too so obviously i don't need anything on it. guess i could try somewhere else, I guess there isnt much help here is there dsenette....

Edited by Ravish261, 31 January 2006 - 11:28 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Can I ask please, is there a reason why you did a fresh installation of XP to the previous board and then changed that board? Did it stop working, prove faulty, or did you just feel like changing it?

Or has this gone the other way; you changed the board, reinstalled XP (so it knows nothing about the previous board) and now its throwing this error up on the new board?

If the latter, then that could be a hardware problem somewhere on the board, or a dying hard drive. Alternatively, Windows may have just decided to eat itself (it does that on occasion for reasons that have never really been clear).

If its the former, you have no option now but to rewipe it, as there's no repair option, all you can do is reinstall.

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had put the motherboard in first, tried to run windows and it gave me the blue screen. So i thought if i reformatted the HDD it might help but as it went to boot it gave me the screen again. I also have another HDD i was using as slave, i made it master and installed windows xp on it and i get the blue screen on it as well.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Okay, that's telling me there's either an an issue on that board or there's something up with the hard drive. But as you've hung two hard drives off it and they've both done the same error, they can't both be faulty.

Apparently this issue can be caused by Norton Goback. Have you ever had this program on those two drives?

I'm presuming that when you reinstalled XP, you deleted the partitions, remade a new one and did a full format on it as opposed to just going straight ahead with a quick format? XP, for some reason, doesn't always seem to get on with some drives that have been quick formatted.

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
What it's telling me is that your new motherboard may not support your drive types....or you have a bad cable....OR....you're daisychaining two harddrives and one or the other isn't set correctly. Check the jumpers twice, change the cable, and try this.....

"This error can be caused by any part of the disk subsystem, including bad disks, bad or incorrect cables, mixing different ATA-type devices on the same chain, or drives that are not available due to hardware regeneration.

It can also be caused by a missing file from the boot partition, or by a driver file that has been disabled from the Drivers tab by mistake."

Thats straight from the Microsoft Library for the error code you just got. See where it says "any part of the disk subsystem"? That means it could be any single piece of your hardware connecting and not limmited to booting windows. Memory, cables, cable slots, HD's, HD sequence, anything really. Sorry there isn't really much help for that error, but I'd say if you can think of nothing else to try and it's still the same...your Mobo has a problem. Especially if it's a fresh installation on a new partition.

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Okay, that's telling me there's either an an issue on that board or there's something up with the hard drive. But as you've hung two hard drives off it and they've both done the same error, they can't both be faulty.

Apparently this issue can be caused by Norton Goback. Have you ever had this program on those two drives?

I'm presuming that when you reinstalled XP, you deleted the partitions, remade a new one and did a full format on it as opposed to just going straight ahead with a quick format? XP, for some reason, doesn't always seem to get on with some drives that have been quick formatted.

I've never had Goback before, so im pretty sure that's not it. The partition windows xp was installed on was completely formatted, no quick format was used. The Windows XP cd that comes with the DELL pc is what i am using, there isn't anything different with the official windows xp cd is there?

Also i would like to ask if it is possible to install the drivers and utilities that came with the motherboard on the HDD if it was hooked up as a slave drive on another PC?

Edited by Ravish261, 01 February 2006 - 09:38 PM.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
No there isn't. The CD they give you from Dell is just an OEM copy of windows. Slightly different coding when you install to prevent piracy but nothing you would notice once it's installed. This issue isn't related to windows in my opinion....it's hardware related. Are the drives IDE or SATA? And are you running them one at a time or together? And...have you tried changing your cables? This type of thing could be caused by using a 40 pin cable on an 80 pin board or drive I suppose. Just thinking out loud now, but it's gotta be hardware related. Especially if it happened on a fresh windows install. Windows really doesn't like some piece of hardware thats connecting your drive to your PC.....Or....your windows installation CD could be damaged I suppose but thats Very very doubtful.

Ravish261

Ravish261

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
they are IDE and im running one HDD at a time, i've changed out the cables, using a new cable from the motherboard box now. everything worked fine until i got this new motherboard, so i suupose i received a faulty motherboard or the RAM might not be compatible. I had a previous error stating the ntkrnlmp.exe was missing when i tried to install windows, i removed all ram and used a different chip and passed that, but i wonder if it could still be something faulty with the ram?

I'm going to look around and look up the motherboard and find the exact size/speed of ram i need.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i just wanna verrify....you installed windows on a machine....then switched out the motherboard and are trying to run windows with the same drive, same installation of windows...just on a new mobo?