Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7.0 Coming!

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft will release a new version of its Internet Explorer browser with improved security features, Bill Gates announced Tuesday. Speaking at a security conference in San Francisco, the Microsoft chairman also confirmed that a new anti-spyware product, currently being offered for free in test versions, would be free in its final release as well.

Read more at :

MSNBC

We'll see! :tazz:

Ron

Advertisements

xanthorea

xanthorea

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Great!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For those who care, update information can be read here about IE 7.0 :

< The Browser That Wont Go Away >

Ron

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'll like their finished anti-spyware product. I'll gladly get it.

As for the new IE, it's probably "NOW WITH MORE WAYS YOU TRACK YOUR EVERY MOVE ONLINE"

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

As for the new IE, it's probably "NOW WITH MORE WAYS YOU TRACK YOUR EVERY MOVE ONLINE"

View Post

Talk about tracking, Microsoft has many files that are not only hidden, but can't be deleted except by extraordinary means. The index.dat files in many of the content.IEx folders are a good example. Even the index.dat file under WINDOWS\Cookies folder. I've got instructions on how to remove them, but it's a pain. I like using Spybot S&D's file shredder, but it doesn't shred these. Kinda off OT, but Yahoo tracks you big time. You can opt out, but you have to know where to go. Then you have to opt out using each browser you have.

I'm gonna stick with Firefox although Mozilla always doesn't inform you about their security lapses. They just tell you they have a new version ready. :tazz:

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah! Exactaly...That kinda thing just bugs me even if it doesn't make a real difference to me. When I started using firefox recently, I saw much improvement in security and convenince though I am in the dark as far as temp files, what it records, and where history is kept...

Yahoo tracks you?Do you mean the messenger or do they have a browser?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Yahoo tracks you?Do you mean the messenger or do they have a browser?

View Post

Here's what was found and I've been sending this to several people :

Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going - similar to cookies.  Yahoo is recording every website and every group you visit.  Take a look at their updated privacy statement :

< http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy >

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says web beacons.  Click on the phrase web beacons.  That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network".

Direct link :< http://privacy.yahoo...ns/details.html >

In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.  Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted.

Notice the "Success" message on the top of the next page.  Be careful, because on that page, there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will "undo" the opt-out.

If you use more than one browser on the Internet, you will have to "opt out" using each browser.

Ron

Hope this can be passed along. Gonna start a new thread about AOL's fine print concerning the "End User License Agreement". This affects a lot of corporate messages where AIM is used. Not sure if ICQ is included or not.

Ron

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, that's really sneaky of them. I suppose it's relatively harmless but that's a very sly way of gathering information like browsing habbits. Thanks for passing this along.

queu0

queu0

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
this looks cool

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Looks like Mozilla and Firefox are taking some of the malware heat off of IE :
Hackers Hitting Mozilla/Firefox

Ron

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
IE 7 or IE 8, it will still suck. Hail Firefox, but iam really sad to hear that hackers are hitting firefox. ;) . And thanks to Major payne for the valuable information.

Cheers! :tazz:

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I'm still going to upgrade, even though I mainly use FF. Some stubborn sites will only support IE. :mad:

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft will release a new version of its Internet Explorer browser with improved security features, Bill Gates announced Tuesday. Speaking at a security conference in San Francisco, the Microsoft chairman also confirmed that a new anti-spyware product, currently being offered for free in test versions, would be free in its final release as well.

:tazz: ;) ;) :) :)
The day Microsoft releases anything secure will be the day that I buy everyone who reads this post a beer... :) :)