Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Realy Slow PC

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 and the thing is slower than mallases. I have defraged the Hard disk and that didn't help I have ran chkdsk /r and that didnt help. It only has 124 MG of RAM I'm not sure if that might be the reason it is so slow. I would greatly appreicate any advice someone could give me thanks again.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
If it is Windows XP, then 124 MB of RAM is definately not enough. Tune-Up recommends at least 512 MB, but personally I use 384 MB.

It is possible that an infection is making it slower too. If you want to make sure you're not infected you could follow all the directions found here.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

If it is Windows XP, then 124 MB of RAM is definately not enough. Tune-Up recommends at least 512 MB, but personally I use 384 MB.

It is possible that an infection is making it slower too. If you want to make sure you're not infected you could follow all the directions found here.

Computerwiz12890,

Thanks for the quick response. I actually already ordered 512 MB of RAM so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I will however do the steps you told me to. Once I do the hijack log do you want me to add the attachment to this thread so you can take a look at it for me and maybe tell me what doesn't need to be? Thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Since I am only in training, I am not allowed to assist with malware problems. So you would have to start a topic in the Malware forum.