Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reboot or repair Xp

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what about the boot floppy fdisk /status command?

Advertisements

sexymomma

sexymomma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I get no Cprompt just the original message of strike f1 to reboot or f2 for setup utility

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't need a c: prompt...is there a floppy drive in this machine?

You create the boot floppy on a different machine, insert it in the bad machine, start the PC....if all is set to defaults, the pc will bot from the floppy--after a few seconds, it will give you an

a:\> prompt

type
fdisk /status
<enter>

sexymomma

sexymomma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you when I try toboot it from disk nothing happens. But I have found out my hard drive is dead any way. My siste in laws coworker can and checked it outand he says it is DOA.Thanks so much for your time.

Rain is just liquid sunshine!!!!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you get a new drive and install windows, take the old drive and put it in a freezer bag, then put it in the freezer for a couple hours.

After the Other machine is up and runnning, shut it off, then attach the cold drive to a different IDE cable....you may be able to recover the data,,,if no go, drop the drive from a bout 6 inches on a flat surface....soemtimes you can get a drive to start up just long enough to capture data

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
note: all that hooking up should be done with teh PC off, then turned on

sexymomma

sexymomma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you very much will do