Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Word Doc

• Please log in to reply

THFC

THFC

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi all,

I have a strange request and would appreciate any advice possible!

Basically, A word document which is quite important was deleted from my computer, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to restore it? the item has been deleted from the norton protected bin and has been gone for about 2 hrs now, I hope it is retrievable, I can't believe someone can be so stupid! :tazz: :)

Thanks,

THFC

Edited by THFC, 30 January 2006 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you can, shutdown the computer, pull the harddrive, and insert in another machine.

Use an uninstall program
(here's a freebie)
http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

on the drive from the other machine.

The more you use the current machine, the less likely it is you will be able to recover it.

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the reply, are there any easier ways?

Thanks again,
THFC

Edited by THFC, 30 January 2006 - 12:58 PM.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
if you use norton systemworks you should have a program called unerase wizard which will find files deleted from the recycle bin

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
easier way, sure, you can install an unerase wizard and pray the program does not overwrite the parts of the file....

You said this was important--the best chance you have is to do it the hard way--every minute you work on your omputer, every time you start it up, you are writing to the harddrive and reducing your chances of recovering the file