Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook/Outlook Express won't Send

• Please log in to reply

molo221

molo221

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not sure where to start, and being told by Dell that I had a virus, I started in the Malware Forum. Went thru all steps there and posted HiJackThis log. It was analyzed by Tigger93 who said it was clean. Ran another "clean" program as suggested, and since I still cannot send email with Outlook Express or Outlook, I'm posting here.

This is the message that I get when I try to send email:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Testing', Account: 'My Name', Server: 'smtp.charter.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

My ISP--Charter--has verified that all email settings are correct. They said it is possible that another program is interfering. How can I find out what?

The only recent change I remember making is downloading Firefox; however, I had been using Firefox for several weeks before the email problem started.

Any help will be appreciated!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
To fix this problem:

Open Outlook Express, and click Tools
Then click on Accounts
Then click on your charter connection and click Properties
Then click Advanced
On this screen remove the checks from the boxes This server requires a secure connection for both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3).

Edited by dsenette, 30 January 2006 - 02:38 PM.

molo221

molo221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dsenette,

I followed the procedure you posted, but it didn't solve the problem. :tazz:

Would it be a good idea diagnostically for me to download a different email problem such as Thunderbird and try sending email from there? It seems if that worked it might isolate the problem as having specifically to do with Outlook Express/Outlook. If that didn't solve the problem, it might confirm that the problem is broader. Does this sound logical?

I'm also concerned that something running in the background might be interfering (anti-virus, SpySweeper, etc.), as Charter suspects. How can we test this? I do have a HijackThis log from Saturday, but don't see how to attach it.

Thank you for your help!

Molo221

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
[email protected]

is that real email address or did you xxx it out?

What it is telling you is a) the email is wrong and does not exist, or b) the other server is rejecting you.

Does this occur with all emails or just this one? It is not uncommon for isps to black out servers that are known to be populated by spammers, or for them to accidently add servers to spam blocklists

molo221

molo221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
gerryf,

Yes, it was a valid email address that I x'd out. I have not been able to send emails to any address from Outlook or Outlook Express for several days.

However, I have GOOD NEWS! It happens that I subscribe to Kim Komando's "Tip of the Day." Today's tip had to do with problems caused by the Google Toolbar on IE. It wasn't describing my problem exactly, but I uninstalled the toolbar on IE...and could instantly send mail! :tazz:

Thank you for taking time to look into my problem.

Molo221